Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn Signal Trouble

Hi everyone,
    I'm new here, I just bought an 81' 850G two weeks ago that brings me joy and happiness. It's my first bike (I know it's big, but I fell in love) although I've ridden a bit before and I want to learn how this thing works (my clymers is in the mail). I've had some trouble with the turn signal and the horn since I bought it. The last owner diverted the horn and the turn signals to an alternate switch that is placed in an awkward and inconvenient place closer to the center of the bars. The headlights are still wired to the black box. I thought I could live with this because it worked - but now they don't work. Week 1 the horn stuck on after I took a bend on the highway and just wouldn't turn off - I wonder if I pinched the wires. I pulled the contacts and rode home, called the shop I bought it from. I took it in and they gave me a once over and all was well until today. I jostled the wires today when I put on the brackets for a small windscreen (when I say jostled I mean ever so gently moved them to the side with my fingers) and now no turn signals. I obviously disturbed them. I have a new appreciation for turn signals - they really get your point across; I've also learned that people do take you seriously and get out of the way when you use hand signals - or make up your own (I think I've invented one for 'get off my ass' that's less rude than some). Anyhow, to the point - I want to get rid of the extra inconvenient switch and actually fix the actual problem that caused some soul to put a stupid switch on it with several miles of electrical tape. So... my questions to all of you lovely people in internet land is:
    What was the original problem with the black box that affected the signal and horn but not the lights?
    Why was it easier to rewire rather than fix?
    Can I fix it?
    Do I need a new black box?
    Is so where can I find one?

Thank you in advance for your help and kind words.

Hi,

Under the right side cover are two black boxes. The one on the left is the "turn signal relay", or flasher, and the other is the "turn signal control unit", which works the 'auto-canceling' feature of the blinkers.

I've replaced the stock (expensive) flasher with an off-the-shelf part and documented it on my website. I'm sure you can do the same thing. I don't know what to tell you about your extra hillbilly switch. Hopefully it can be reverse-engineered out of there.

You'll find wiring diagrams and a service manual for the 850 on my little website. Please help yourself.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks!

The wiring diagram was exactly what I needed and also your website rocks my socks. I'm off to cycle salvage to see if I can get a new (well new to me) relay. That hillbilly switch is out of here.... So, I poked around and found that the turn signal relay is totally missing and someone has done exactly what you suggested and replaced it with a 12v blinker switch. I'm taking it apart to see where it all went wrong.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-02-2010, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X