not charging/again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not charging/again

i bought a new stator from rm stator for my gs 50 ef 85' and it worked great for a couple weeks and then i washed my bike, it started blowing main fuses when it shut off. now it quit blowing fuses after it dried out for 3 weeks. and now my battery dies after a short 20 minute ride. i have replaced the battery with a yuasa and that died after 30 minutes. really confused just graduated motorcycle repair class and this is really testing my knowedge. i even ran the r/r ground straight to the battery. the r/r gets pretty hot it should get warm but really hot? thanks for the help everyone!!!

Hi,

Have you cleaned every electrical connection and ground on the entire wiring harness? Charging systems hate oxidation and corrosion. The fusebox is the usual suspect. Check the voltage drop between the r/r (+) and the battery (+) at 5000 rpm. It should be no more than .25vDC. Read all the great information put together by Mr. posplayr about GS charging system health. There are links in his sig and on my website in the "Electrical Odds and Ends" section. You should probably go through the Stator Papers again.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

i have cleaned all the connections behind the headlight about 7 but could go through the stator connections again thank you for the quick reply

Comment

Originally posted by 85gs550ef View Post
        i have cleaned all the connections behind the headlight about 7 but could go through the stator connections again thank you for the quick reply
        You cleaned all the connections behind the headlight about 7 o'clock?

or

You cleaned all the connections behind the headlight, [there might have been] about 7 [of them]?

Sorry, but a little bit of punctuation goes a LONG way to making things clearer.

By the way, even in a GS 50 EF that is 85 feet long (see first post: "my gs 50 ef 85' "), there are probably more then 7 connections behind the headlight. Why not clean them all? And, it's not just the connectors behind the headlight that need to be cleaned, it's ALL of them on the bike. ALL the connectors under the tank, ALL the connectors near the battery and fuse box, ALL the connectors near the tail light and rear turn signals.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

sorry guys it is a 1985 suzuki gs550 EF i cleaned the 7 connectors behind the tail light. all of them were the quick disconnect type. i figured that since the bike started running terrable or lack of running after i washed it that it would be a connection that is exposed such as the ones behind the headlight. now the only connection that is under the gas tank is the fuel sender for my fuel gauge and the coil packs. the connecter on the fuse box was cleaned. i used WD-40 to clean the connections and compressed air to get the excess WD-40 out of them. i paid $500 for the bike and have put another $1000 into whatever it needed such as fork work, new speedometer gear box on the wheel and new tires, chain and sprockets, batteries, uni filter, oil and filter, headlight, turn signals, new stator and that is about it. i have more money invested into this than it is worth. it was easy to get up to the $1000 dollar mark on stuff because it was one little thing after another. it is nickel and diming me and i am about to part it out. thanks for everyones help it is greatly appreciated and the fact that you all respond so fast is amazing gsresources rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by 85gs550ef View Post
            sorry guys it is a 1985 suzuki gs550 EF i cleaned the 7 connectors behind the tail light. all of them were the quick disconnect type. i figured that since the bike started running terrable or lack of running after i washed it that it would be a connection that is exposed such as the ones behind the headlight. now the only connection that is under the gas tank is the fuel sender for my fuel gauge and the coil packs. the connecter on the fuse box was cleaned. i used WD-40 to clean the connections and compressed air to get the excess WD-40 out of them. i paid $500 for the bike and have put another $1000 into whatever it needed such as fork work, new speedometer gear box on the wheel and new tires, chain and sprockets, batteries, uni filter, oil and filter, headlight, turn signals, new stator and that is about it. i have more money invested into this than it is worth. it was easy to get up to the $1000 dollar mark on stuff because it was one little thing after another. it is nickel and diming me and i am about to part it out. thanks for everyones help it is greatly appreciated and the fact that you all respond so fast is amazing gsresources rocks!!
            What about the connections between the R/R and the fuse block/stator/battery? Be sure to check the wiring from the fuse block to the lights and brakes even if that means removing the entire harness from the bike. Put new connectors on where possible and don't just use wd40; i actually let some connectors soak in rubbing alcohol (hope it works). I found that the wiring from the harness to the taillight was covered in electrical tape but wide open and possibly touching each other plus a bad wire from the fuse block to the R/R. Check everything no matter how small.

And by the way, I got my bike for free and have put almost 1000 dollars into it. The sad part, I've only ridden it for 5 miles at most. But I'm really confident that once I fix the brakes and mount the new tires I should be good to go.

Keep at it and don't give up yet. You will get there and there'll be a big smile on your face when you do.
            Last edited by cowboyup3371; 07-29-2010, 01:12 AM.
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Sounds like you should have replaced the reg when you replaced the stator. Go back and check the stator If it is ok ? put a Honda reg on it..

Comment

what year model of honda regulator do you recommend? there is a bike bone yard in town and i could easily get one but what year and model that could be the problem thanks

Comment

Working...
                X