No announcement yet.

what have I done.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, there are only 3 female plug wires coming from the stator, they are bundled together and connect to the yellow male connector wires going to the RR. It looks like you have those correct.
    You would never connect two wires from the same bundle, so something there is incorrect.
    That green female connector wire looks mighty lonely there.
    Even if the stator were not connected, you should still have power to the system from the ~12.6 volts of the battery, so you should start at the battery and go out from there. Have you checked your grounds yet?

Comment

no mate not yet... how do i check them? well not sure where they are?

i will take another look tommorow mate.........

Comment

What colors are the two wires?

If one is white with a green tracer and the other is white with a red tracer, ignore them.

Those two wires used to go to the headlight switch, back when bikes still had headlight switches, but now just provide a bunch more opportunities for bad connections. One of the stator wires would go to the wire with the male bullet connector, the one with the female bullet would connect to the R/R. It is far better to ignore those two wires and wire all three stator wires directly to the R/R.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

While you're figuring what it is you and the PO have done hooking up wires wrong, I advise unbolting the fuse panel and inspecting the connections on the back, where it is known to melt the solder off the wires.

Also, check to make sure the copper clips for the fuses aren't touching
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hi Yeah one is white with a green tracer and the other is white with a red tracer.... my head light still has a on off switch though?

Where should the bike be grounded? just so I can check if its ok?

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            What colors are the two wires?

If one is white with a green tracer and the other is white with a red tracer, ignore them.

Those two wires used to go to the headlight switch, back when bikes still had headlight switches, but now just provide a bunch more opportunities for bad connections. One of the stator wires would go to the wire with the male bullet connector, the one with the female bullet would connect to the R/R. It is far better to ignore those two wires and wire all three stator wires directly to the R/R.

Comment

All our bikes have the ON/OFF switch. Suzuki cheaped out when the order came that all bikes must keep the headlamp on at all times. They just disabled the function, but kept all the wiring, switches, etc. to save costs.
              Your grounds should be to the battery, the frame and the engine, and they should be at the same potential (0 ohms).

Comment

I don't have an on/off headlight switch on my '81 1000G.
                Current Bikes:
                2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Thanks for the advice and patience.... well a box of fuses later... I got the ignition light back on. I think it myst be something to do with the right handle bar switch i put on ( previous post) I replaced it because the the light switch came off.

The red lead that runs from the fuse box to the ignition when unplugged didn't blow fuses. and when plugged in did.

I took the switch off the hanle bars and left it in two halfs.... its not blowing fuses and ignition and lights all work, however starter button isnt working. Butnot sure why... is there a way i can test to see if the bike will start withiut the switch so I can check that it is jus the button ?

Does anyone know what other switch sets will fit this bike ... it has kill switch/headlight on/off and start button

Many thanks

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  All our bikes have the ON/OFF switch. Suzuki cheaped out when the order came that all bikes must keep the headlamp on at all times. They just disabled the function, but kept all the wiring, switches, etc. to save costs.
                  Your grounds should be to the battery, the frame and the engine, and they should be at the same potential (0 ohms).

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                    I don't have an on/off headlight switch on my '81 1000G.
                    Interesting. My 83 GS1100E has one. I could enable it by removing the little plastic nub, but it would be a stupid thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by bikerzx7r1981 View Post
                      Thanks for the advice and patience.... well a box of fuses later... I got the ignition light back on. I think it myst be something to do with the right handle bar switch i put on ( previous post) I replaced it because the the light switch came off.

The red lead that runs from the fuse box to the ignition when unplugged didn't blow fuses. and when plugged in did.

I took the switch off the hanle bars and left it in two halfs.... its not blowing fuses and ignition and lights all work, however starter button isnt working. Butnot sure why... is there a way i can test to see if the bike will start withiut the switch so I can check that it is jus the button ?

Does anyone know what other switch sets will fit this bike ... it has kill switch/headlight on/off and start button

Many thanks
                      If it works as I suspect, the button grounds to the handlebars, enabling the starter to work. So if you have the switch dangling off the bars, it can't ground and won't work.

Comment

Working...
                      X