Volt meter recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volt meter recommendations

I'm wanting to install a volt meter on my bike, but I'm not liking the options I've been able to find so far. I'd like a digital readout to 0.1V precision, but I haven't seen one at a reasonable cost that doesn't look like a hobby project. This may be a pipe dream, but I'd like the digital display in something that could be mistaken for period correct, or is very small. (But not panel mount. I don't have a panel.)

I know about the Show Chrome unit, but it has more functions than I want, it's not waterproof for cryin' out loud, and I happen to think it's ugly. Other units with digital displays quickly jump up over $100. For that kind of money, I'll just get a Veypor and park it over the unused area of my tach.

Any suggestions? I didn't think I'd have this much trouble finding something.
    Last edited by Dogma; 05-10-2015, 12:08 AM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

I found some on eBay, you have to refine your seach to get what you want, but I found some that were acceptable for low bucks (no, I did not save the search or a pointer to the acceptable ones). Lots of the panel mounts, of course. Time for a Radio Shack hobby box?

Comment

Advantage?

I don't understand the advantage in having one. What is it?
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Our charging systems are prone to failure, unfortunately. A voltmeter would tell the owner when things were going awry, as opposed to stopping on the side of the road as I have seen on no fewer than 3 rallies.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Our charging systems are prone to failure, unfortunately. A voltmeter would tell the owner when things were going awry, as opposed to stopping on the side of the road as I have seen on no fewer than 3 rallies.

It seems to me that the two things would happen at the same time!

Comment

No, what actually happens is one of two things:
            It starts to fail. Voltage is too high or too low.
            If too high, it will burn things up and then they are on the side of the road.
            If too low, it runs on the battery until the battery is too low to run the bike, and then they are on the side of the road.
            Either way, the side of the road is just a bad place to break down.

Comment

I've got this one on my bike

I've got it attached to the top of the gauge cluster with velcro. Seems to stay put but I have a windshield on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                No, what actually happens is one of two things:
                It starts to fail. Voltage is too high or too low.
                If too high, it will burn things up and then they are on the side of the road.
                If too low, it runs on the battery until the battery is too low to run the bike, and then they are on the side of the road.
                Either way, the side of the road is just a bad place to break down.
                I don't question the theory....only the practicality or true usefulness!

Comment

Sorry, but it is not theory, it is reality. Unfortunate, but true.

Comment

Unless you develop some sort of supreme sensitivity to voltage or bulb brightness, charging system failure often isn't detected until you're stuck somewhere.

I'm a fairly accomplished GS mechanic, but I've been caught out a few times. In all cases, some sort of charging system monitoring would have prevented the inconvenience.

Once was when my VX800 was overcharging intermittently -- when the R/R got hot, it stopped regulating (I suspected something was up when I started blowing bulbs regularly, but the bike always passed tests), and I had to perform an emergency battery swap at a Walmart on the way to Kentucky. This led to about four hours of delay.

Another time, I had no idea my GS850 had stopped charging until I was stuck at a grocery store with a bike that wouldn't start (plus melting ice cream and a gallon of rapidly warming milk ). Basically, the bike always starts instantly, so I didn't get any warning from slow cranking. I was running errands during the daytime, so I didn't notice the lights getting dim.

I've been surprised by expired batteries a time or two as well in much the same way -- if a GS is tuned correctly, it will pretty much start instantly in about half a turn, so you never detect the warning signs of slow cranking.

On my fuel-injected V-Strom, I noticed the fuel pump noise was lacking enthusiasm, and the cranking was getting slow (most FI systems make the engine crank for about a second to build oil pressure before they allow starting). With this early warning, I was able to check the charging system and then buy a replacement battery later that day and install it at my convenience. (The battery was the original factory battery -- a Yuasa AGM at least 7 years old.)

So yeah, a voltage monitor is in fact a very practical and useful idea.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                      I don't question the theory....only the practicality or true usefulness!
                      The idea is that you can see unusual voltage readings before complete failure. Like being able to do the first tests of the stator papers every time you get on the bike.
                      Dogma
                      --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

i will not run my old GS without one. A "peace of mind" feeling when out on those 6 hr rides in the northeast.
                        1979 GS850G
                        2004 SV650N track bike
                        2005 TT-R125 pit bike
                        LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
                          I've got this one on my bike

I've got it attached to the top of the gauge cluster with velcro. Seems to stay put but I have a windshield on the bike.
                          That is less awful in appearance than most. But it's not really a voltmeter. And sorta pricey. Not that a capacity estimator doesn't have its uses. I would definitely want one of those on a boat. I looked around the site a bit, and didn't see other types of meters.
                          Dogma
                          --

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

If you had the room and the inclination, the best voltmeter would be one designed for an automobile: http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEoQ8wIwBA
                            I use Ultra-Lites in my TransAm and they are awesome. You would need to fashion a bracket, but it would look similar to pos's cluster, which looks quite professional.

Comment

they are all over ebay

For waht you get teh show chrome is actually kinda nice. I know in the short time I have had it it was nice to see the temperature variations from 60 degF to 110 degF (both inside and outside), time of day in addition to the battery voltage. All of this is in aout the same size package as just buying a volt meter.

This one is about the smallest I have seen. The LCD display is what takes up all the room. It is not the voltmeter.

Last edited by posplayr; 07-30-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X