83 gs550l - charging issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs550l - charging issue

I recently acquired an 83 gs550l. It's a fantastic bike, when the battery is all charged up. I don't understand why there's decals on the tank and the side plastic pieces though. Anyhow, the previous owner told me that it was in need of a battery, so I put one in. A week later the new battery is dead and the bike runs badly with a dead battery. It wants to stall out. The battery was showing 11.5v using a voltometer when the bike was turned off. When it was running (have to push start it), it was showing roughly 10.5, or a drop of 1v. My understanding is that it should be 12 when turned off and 13.5 - 14.5 when running. This was checked at the battery posts.

The previous owner also told me that the bike has a newer voltage regulator, and he suggested that the problem probably isn't the stator. Why, I'm not sure. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but haven't done much electrical work. I've only replaced bad parts on cars many many times (alternator, radiator, water pumps, etc, etc).

I just recently started riding after about a 15 year hiatus. This is my second bike that I recently aquired, the other being a Suzuki GN400X which is smaller, but seems much simpler as far as these wiring systems and such.

Any helps would be most appreciated!

Thanks
    -mark-

Originally posted by mlybarger View Post
    I recently acquired an 83 gs550l. It's a fantastic bike, when the battery is all charged up. I don't understand why there's decals on the tank and the side plastic pieces though. Anyhow, the previous owner told me that it was in need of a battery, so I put one in. A week later the new battery is dead and the bike runs badly with a dead battery. It wants to stall out. The battery was showing 11.5v using a voltometer when the bike was turned off. When it was running (have to push start it), it was showing roughly 10.5, or a drop of 1v. My understanding is that it should be 12 when turned off and 13.5 - 14.5 when running. This was checked at the battery posts.

The previous owner also told me that the bike has a newer voltage regulator, and he suggested that the problem probably isn't the stator. Why, I'm not sure. I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but haven't done much electrical work. I've only replaced bad parts on cars many many times (alternator, radiator, water pumps, etc, etc).

I just recently started riding after about a 15 year hiatus. This is my second bike that I recently aquired, the other being a Suzuki GN400X which is smaller, but seems much simpler as far as these wiring systems and such.

Any helps would be most appreciated!

Thanks
    -mark-
    Stator Pages: see the GS Charging Health Link in my Siggy.

Comment

You need to charge your new battery because it should read higher than 12 volts even sitting.

Put it on a trickle charger and wait for the 10 Ah unit to get a full charge.

You will alos note that running this or any bike at low rpms on short trips will result in a depleted battery.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mlybarger,

Yes, start with The Stator Papers, then move on to Mr. posplayr's excellent supporting documentation. These older bikes tend to have a lot of oxidation in the electrical connections and grounds so get them cleaned up. Run the ground wire from the r/r unit directly to the negative battery terminal. See the "Electrical Odds and Ends" section of my website. Here's a TON of information for you. It's your "mega-welcome".

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
        X