have spark, won't turn over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have spark, won't turn over

I have an 82 GS 650 GL, there is fuel going to the carbs but the bike won't start. I was able to get the bike to start and run for about a minute yesterday with the help of a little carb spray in the air box. The bike would not respond to changes in the throttle, it would just idle. Today I went to try to start it, the bike tried to start but never would turn over, even with a little carb spray. I noticed the positive terminal on the battery was getting hot so I took it off, cleaned all wires and terminals and replaced it. It seemed to stop the heating. I checked the spark plugs for spark, which had a small blue spark (not white like expected) The bike would not start after this and eventually the battery died. Now the battery is on a trickle charge and I am here. What is going on??

Sounds like a dead battery. Try jump starting it from another source. If ya use an automobile it is said not to run the motor while jumping it.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

First off, let's lose the carb spray- it's not telling you much! reviewing your previous posts indicates an ongoing carb problem going back 6 months. After prolonged sitting, the carbs ( and probably tank and petcock ) need a thorough cleaning- did you follow the instructions of the nice folks on this site?
      In this post, you said " the bike would not respond to changes in throttle, it would just idle "- this is odd as it should either rev or die. The starter jet system all by its lonesome can cause revs to shoot up to 4000 rpm.
      The now weak battery is causing the weak spark so refocus on why the carbs aren't behaving normally- something is plugged up. What climate was this bike sitting in? I recently bought a set of backup carbs( from Florida ) that had insects taking up residence in the slides!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
      X