Electrical Advice and Opinions needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Advice and Opinions needed.

Okk, I have to replace my stator, yup its been a bad stator and stopped charging. While I was done the run down of whats what doing an inspection, I found the old OE fuse block was of the glass tube style. The 650's block isnt all that large, 3.5"x1.5", but in the same space I could fit a newer ATO blade style block. Has anyone used the ATO size breakers? Theyre a little pricey but are, from what I understand a bit more reliable. Since the wiring could use some real cleaning with a few connectors replaced, anyone thing its worth the jump to it?

I use those (or the UK equivalent) on loads of bikes. Stuck one on my mate's '57 A10 the other day ('sacrilege' they'll cry at the BSA owner's club). If they're cheap enough in the US (they are here) I'd do it.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

The block is cheap-ish, $20 to $25 but the breakers run from about $12 to $20.

Also, any value in run solid core wire instead of twist braid?

Comment

What block are you using? I have one of these on order. I hope it's tall enough to use the breakers.

Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          What block are you using? I have one of these on order. I hope it's tall enough to use the breakers.

Same one I believe. Think I may go with the 8 circuit one if its close to the same size as the old block. As far as size of the breakers compared to the ato fuses, from what Ive been told, the slim, short ones will fit no worries.

Thinking about a Safetyhub block as well.
          Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2010, 02:45 PM.

Comment

I like it. Gasketed cover, screw terminals, and a place to label circuits. I don't understand the purpose of having two different fuse types. Maybe if I understood the MIDI fuse. Is it for higher currents? Do the stator legs pass through there?
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Im not sure why they use MIDIs as well. Its a marine fuse block. I could use it for ignition, starter relay and something else large.

Comment

Working...
              X