the old girl shocked me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the old girl shocked me

so i recently have been having a problem with my number 2 and 3 cylanders not firing correctly...i was crouching down listening to the motor with my left hand on the tank for support. i pulled the number 2 plug wire to see what the change in the way the motor was running would be and i felt an electrical current going through the tank into my hand. i have felt this before working on computers that didnt have a proper ground...is this what is happening here...it also happend when i pulled the number 1 plug...if it is a ground issue could this be causing my running issues

You are the ground

Shibby, when you pull the high tension lead from a spark plug the HT lead no longer has an earth (ground) so guess what, you become the shortest path for the voltage to ground. You have the 50,000 volts running through you -- very little in the way of amps though, so it won't kill you -- just lets you know you are alive.

So there is no problem with the bike or the electrics -- this is just normal procedure under these conditions. Seasoned mechanics often surprise the NEW apprentice with this little trick in the workshop.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2010, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
      You have the 50,000 volts running through you -- very little in the way of amps though, so it won't kill you -- just lets you know you are alive.
      Alive and probably cussing pretty good.
      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

yeah, it'll tickle yer innards.

Comment

good to know...ill keep that in mind for the future...lol

Comment

Working...
          X