Is My Starter Solenoid Gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is My Starter Solenoid Gone?

Well after repainting the tank (it seems like my bike REALLY doesnt like to have its tank painted ) i go and try to start the bike and all i get is a big "ERGHH" just once no turning over or anything.. i checked the connections... (guage lights go off when i go to start the bike like usual but it just doesnt turn over) THANKfully i got a kickstart the starter was working PERFECT before i started the tank project... my question is do the solenoids(or something) die after not starting for a couple days? my battery IS charged

P.S. I am going to try and short it out with a screwdriver as BassCliff mentioned in the other starter post!
    Last edited by GabrielGoes; 08-03-2010, 11:49 PM.
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

You may think your battery is charged, but it's possible that it's really trash. Put a voltmeter on the battery to check the voltage before you turn on the key and keep checking it while you hit the starter button.

Before you turn on the key, it should be over 12.5 volts. When you turn the key on, but before you hit the starter, it should not go below 12.0. When you hit the starter, it should not go below 10 volts. If it dips lower, your battery is trash.

Don't worry about the age of the battery, I had this happen to a two-month-old AGM battery that was found to be from a bad batch that was recalled.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X