spark plugs??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spark plugs??

ok i would like to get spark plugs wires for my gs850gl b how would i do it and where can i get them ? can i just get the wires mine have got cracks in them

Is it the wires themselves that are cracked, or just the caps? If it's just the caps, nice NGK caps are cheap at Z1 Enterprises. I can't remember which off the top of my head, but I know the correct part numbers have been posted in the tech section. A search should turn them up.

The wires are glued into the coils, and from what I gather,it's not a sure thing that you can get them out. This has been discussed a few times also, so search for that too.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

you know i wondering if i put wire shrink wrap on them if that would to something ? cut the ends to get a fresh wire for the plugs and then wrap them

Comment

I kinda like the shrink wrap idea.

Have not heard of it being done, but there's no reason it shouldn't work.

The plugs you need are available at just about any auto parts store. I usually get mine at Auto Zone because they are only about half a mile from my house. If they are out, I have to go about 3 miles to Pep Boys. The plugs you are looking for are NGK B8ES. Accept no substitutes. They are usually less than $3 each.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Why does he need a plug wire splicer?

Just unscrew the stock plug caps, trim about 1/4" from the end of the wires, slide a length of shrink-wrap tubing over the entire wire, screw the new plug caps on. No splices needed.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

I have never liked the idea of the Suzuki intergral coil and plug wire set up, are there any coils with the loose plug wires that can be unscrewed and replaced, ala Kawasaki, that are a compatible bolt on mod?
              I also like the shrink sleeve idea, would make a very neat job, I suspect that one would have to get the thickest shrink sleeve you can, as I am not sure how well it would insulate HT voltage, as it was never designed for that, maybe two layers?
              Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2010, 03:09 AM.

Comment

Actually, you are just weatherproofing the existing insulation, so it should be enough to have one layer on there.

I have Accel coils on two of my bikes, they have removeable leads.
                The Dyna coils that are also highly favored have replaceable leads, too.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride

Comment

i dont know about 2 layers my self. But i will give it a shot cant hurt im going to try this week end and will post pics as soon as i get the wraped

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
                    I have never liked the idea of the Suzuki intergral coil and plug wire set up, are there any coils with the loose plug wires that can be unscrewed and replaced, ala Kawasaki, that are a compatible bolt on mod?
                    When I was trying to diagnose a no fire problem, I swapped KZ550 coils onto my GS. They were a direct bolt, and had removable wires. They also ran the bike, but just in the garage. Don't know how well they would hold up in actual use, but I expect they would be fine.

Another idea I have had is the tool handle dip you can buy. I don't know if it will insulate though.

Comment

Working...
                    X