Is it Okay to leave Charger on Battery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it Okay to leave Charger on Battery?

i have to wait untill my rear tire gets in so i plan on taking the battery out and leaving it on my 6 amp charger for about a week and a half can i do this or is going to exploded my battery or something... or should i just wait the week and charge the battery the day before i ride it?
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
    i have to wait untill my rear tire gets in so i plan on taking the battery out and leaving it on my 6 amp charger for about a week and a half can i do this or is going to exploded my battery or something... or should i just wait the week and charge the battery the day before i ride it?

if it is trickling: Battery voltage at no more than 13V

Comment

NO! Do not leave a 6 amp charger hooked up

Comment

Even the best of the "charger/maintainers" is only about 1.5 amps, and they will shut down completely when the battery is charged.
        The 6-amp charger likely does not have the 'shut down' feature and will keep trying to charge the battery.
        Even if it's a "automatic" charger, it will still keep charging a little bit, probably too much for the battery.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

D E F I N I T E L Y

N O T !

You will be overcharging the battery after only a few hours. Continued charging for several days will boil away the liquid, then the battery will die.
          Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
            ... i plan on taking the battery out and leaving it on my 6 amp charger for about a week and a half can i do this ... or should i just wait the week and charge the battery the day before i ride it?
            Actually, the best thing to do is to store the battery in a charged state.

Put it on the charger now for a couple of hours to top it off. If you feel that it needs it again in a week and a half (I can't imagine why it would, but I don't know your battery), connect it again for an hour or so to top it off while you are putting the wheel back on the bike.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I agree, you shouldn't leave a 6 Amp charger connected past the point of fully charged.

I bought a Battery Tender to maintain my batteries when I'm away on business, it's a 2-bank unit and operates at 1.25 Amps. The manufacturer claims their product charges & maintains batteries in a "completely automatic" manner, and that it can monitor voltage levels and prevent unsafe conditions. Here's a link to the user manual:

Call me overly cautious but I still haven't left the charger connected when I'm away, I may get to that point but I'm not there yet... I'm too worried I'll get a call from the neighbors telling me that my garage has burned to the ground

Comment

I can add one piece of advice to this thread:

Never leave a battery connected to a tender if the tender is unplugged.
                I did once and the battery terminals churned out a mess that literally
                ate the alligator clips off the tender.

Comment

Originally posted by mojoguzzi View Post
                  I can add one piece of advice to this thread:

Never leave a battery connected to a tender if the tender is unplugged.
                  I did once and the battery terminals churned out a mess that literally
                  ate the alligator clips off the tender.
                  Eh? You're blaming an unpowered battery tender for that?

Comment

You are running a 14Ah battery on the 750, correct? A 6 amp charger will completely charge a 14Ah battery in 2 hours 20 minutes (14 / 6 = 2 1/3), provided the battery is in good condition. Call it 2 and a half hours, before you go, and you'll be fine to go away for the weekend without having to worry.

- boingk

Comment

Be careful!

Know your charger and batt. first.
                      I got a cheap 2amp trickle charger at walmart for like $20.
                      It works great, it charges then shuts right off perfectly when it should.

I bought one for my dad, and his was a completely automatic version, no selector switch to flip between 6v or 12v.
                      I let it try to charge my battery since it's supposed to be "smart" and detect my battery type.

I came back 2 hours later, it's bubbling and spewing.... Pretty much fried my battery.....

I'll leave MY charger going unattended sometimes, but I'm still leary.....
                      Usually I just charge it overnight or maybe kick it on right when I wake up.
                      By time I wake up and eat and actually get out the door.... It's got a nice top off boost.

Comment

What kind of charger did you get for your dad that you're having problems with? Just curious. Sounds like one I told a friend of mine to buy from there in July. Need to give him a heads up if that model is unreliable.

Comment

Working...
                        X