starter rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter rebuild

I removed starter from bike and took it apart and cleaned it, still need to sand the part that the brushes ride on down, but it seems to be hard to turn and has abit of drag in the end. I am not sure how easy it would be to replace the bushings but they have a rebuild kit on ebay for 27. I took it to auto zone and they hooked it up on the tester and it worked, I hooked it back on the bike and it worked, not mounted just sitting on it and held down with boot. what would be the best way to check it to determine if it needs rebuilt? I know it will need brushes,so maybe the kit would be cheaper in the long run? I was also wondering if anyone else has ever done a rebuild, hard ? easy? I would welcome any input on it. I am replacing the wires from the battery, I think problem was the bushings are worn out. It started out as a dead starter. I had ran a ground wire from the solinoid mounting bracket to the battery awhile back. I am thinking that the bushings are draging the starter down. I have no way to compair the starter to a new one . Thanks

If you put power to the starter while holding it on the ground It should just about jump out of your hand. If it just turns it needs work!

Comment

If you put power to the starter while holding it on the ground It should just about jump out of your hand. If it just turns it needs work! Don't over tighten the long bolts !!

Comment

if you are going in there to do the brushes, then I would do the whole bang shoot, then you will have a trouble free starter for many more years.
        It is straight forward not difficult at all and is cheap enough to do the whole thing.

Comment

It did turn real fast but if you turn it by hand it seems to drag, by grabing the gear and turning it.
          It does make sense to rebuild to me but I seem to be wrong on somethings so I try to ask other people who know. Good to have a couple of different ideas. I was kinda worried the windings were bad, so that is why I questioned the rebuild idea. Thanks for the quick responses.

Comment

Working...
          X