Bike is not even attempting to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike is not even attempting to start

Hey everyone, I have a 1980 GS550e and up until yesterday have not had any problems in a while. It ran fine and started first try but then yesterday as I was about to drive home the bike would not start. I pressed the starter button and it did not even attempt to turn over. So we tried doing a jump start where I believe you push it and then pop it into second gear and it should start right?
    Well that didnt work either.
    So any suggestions please?

Did you check your battery to make sure it wasn't dead. If the battery is good it may be your starter solenoid. Try jumping the contacts on the solenoid and see if the starter turns.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to post that the headlights turn on and work fine so I didnt think it was the battery but if you think that might be it I will definitely try.
      I have a car battery jump starter will that work for the bike?

Comment

I think that your battery could still have enough to power the lights, dimly and not start the bike. If you have a multimeter check the voltage at the battery.

And yes a charger for car batteries should work fine for charging/jumping, just don't leave the charger hooked up all the time or you may ruin the battery.

Comment

Alright well I left the bike at my friends house and wont be able to try until tomorrow evening when I go to try and get it, in the meantime any other suggestions would be great so I can try and check everything there at once to get it going.

Comment

Starter

If the starter was working fine up to now, that's not likely to turn out to be the problem. Usually, you get a bit of a 'hint' before they stop completely. Your problem is quite isolated so it should be easy to get it figured out.

First, and foremost, check to see if your fuses are good. Even if they look good, they may not be. Your main is a 15a and the rest are 10a. You can switch the 10a fuses around in order to be certain that they're good.

It's most likely going to turn out to be corrosion at the starter button, a corroded, loose or poor connection or a broken or frayed wire. Take your multimeter and check to see if you're getting power to the starter....check for voltage by turning on the ignition, holding the multimeter leads on the starter (ground to frame, positive to starter wire), have your sweetheart push the starter button..... and see what you get.

If your solenoid isn't clicking, the power is almost surely not making it all the way down there because of the first things I mentioned. I've had similar problems a number of times and the most common cause, for me, was corrosion at the starter button. If the solenoid IS clicking, it's most likely a starter problem.

P.S. Resist the urge to buy a new solenoid. You might need one....but it's not likely to be the problem. See if power is making it down there, do your wire/connection checks, check the starter button and let us know what you find. I can almost guarantee you it will end up being a very easy fix....even if it should happen to be the starter.
            Last edited by chuckycheese; 08-08-2010, 07:33 PM.
            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

kill switch engaged?

Comment

Yeah!!

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                kill switch engaged?
                That's a VERY good question.... that I forgot to ask!!
                1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Start at the battery. If the voltage is much below 12v, EVERYTHING will look good, but there won't be enough power to turn the motor over. It doesn't take much below to make her not crank (I think the starter has to have a strong kick to turn over the motor...meaning strong battery).

If battery is marginal, and the starter is gunked up same result.

So...get your volt meter, and test your battery. What is the voltage?

But, that is only part of the question. If battery seems 12.5 or so, but still no crank, you've eliminated 1 problem. Could be the solinoid, could be the starter is too dirty on the inside, or could be the battery doesn't have enough amps to crank.

Options, trace the voltage. If battery good, then, wire/tie the clutch in the pulled back position, test voltage at the solinoid and then at the starter...if it's good to there, you gotta pull the starter and take it apart. Not hard to do, just something else to check.

OR you can take your battery off, get to Autozone or Checker and they can test it for shorts, cranking amps, etc. Maybe you just need a new battery....

Comment

Hey so I just got the bike home. The problem was just simply the fuse. Changed it out and it started right up.

Thanks everyone for the help

Comment

Working...
                    X