Left Side controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left Side controls

I have a 1980 GS1000G and I just bought a nos left hand control unit.

It has the auto off feature for the turn signals and choke lever.

My current controls does not have auto feature, if it does it does not work.

Will the nos unit work for me if my current one does not have the auto off feature, or will I have to do some mods?

Cheers.

Hi,

The "auto-canceling" blinkers are a function of the Turn Signal Control Unit and not the handlebar switches. I think you'll be fine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
      Hi,

The "auto-canceling" blinkers are a function of the Turn Signal Control Unit and not the handlebar switches. I think you'll be fine.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Yeah, except the "auto-canelling" switches have FIVE positions to them, while the "standard" switches only have THREE.

But, I think you are right. As long as the switch wires are connected to the proper harness wires (you will have to do some cutting and splicing, or at least use the old connector housing), it will probably work.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks, much appreciated.

Cheers

John

Comment

What it all means is that your bike is probably missing the turn signal control box

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            What it all means is that your bike is probably missing the turn signal control box
            ... or maybe it's still there and a PO installed a normal flasher just to get some signals.

Even if you still have the control box and the wiring hasn't been too bodged, you would need to come up with the special T/S relay from a shaftie to get auto-cancel working again. Worst case, it's around $45 new. But make sure you have all the other pieces in place first, and maybe borrow the relay from a pal's GS shaftie and test with it.

It's worth getting the auto cancel working -- I really wish my other bikes had auto cancel signals.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X