high output from R/R

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high output from R/R

I recently had a problem with my GS1100 which stopped charging and required a new stator and R/R. Because of this I have started checking all my bikes to see what kind of output the charging systems have. Yesterday after about a 30 ile ride I hooked up the multi meter to my 85 GS700E. At about 3000 RPM voltage at the battery was 16.3 volts. This seemed vey high so I cleaned all of the connections to the R/R and added an additional wire from the negative post on the battery to the black/white wire comming out of the R/R. Voltage was still 16.3 volts at the battery. I have no Idea how long it has been this way but am thinking this can't be good for the electrical system ( even though everything seems to work great and the battery doesn't seem to be boilng off alot of water) during operation the R/R was also cool to the touch and none of the wiring looked like it had been over heated. after stopping the engine the battery voltage would settle at about 13 volts with the ignition key off. Any one run into this? This is what happens to me when I start checking things that seem to be working perfectly OK.

Well from what you say, sounds like the R/R is toast.

Comment

Ditto with mine mate, except I'm only charging at 11.9v and the R/R is getting pretty darn warm. Picked up a unit of a CB900 to see if that'll work.

Hope it goes well mate - boingk

Comment

Originally posted by boingk View Post
        Ditto with mine mate, except I'm only charging at 11.9v and the R/R is getting pretty darn warm. Picked up a unit of a CB900 to see if that'll work.

Hope it goes well mate - boingk
        this could be bad connections,

Comment

Could be, but I've cleaned them once already and the result is the same. Suppose a second go over the system wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

Could be, but I've cleaned them once already and the result is the same. Suppose a second go over the system wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Cheers - boingk
            I have had R/R's get hot when there is a bad connection to the battery, The R/R is not able to push current to teh electrical so it shorts teh power back to teh statro causing it to get hot.

If you compare the voltages at the output of the R/R to that at the battery or measure from R/R(+) to Battery(+) and same at the (-) side those voltage differences should be small. If they are not then bad connection somewhere.

Comment

Alright, so I just stuffed around checking ALL the connections for the charging circuit. I eventually found that although the connection for the R/R's ground was good at its intermediate connector, it was bad at the point where it earthed.

I fixed by grounding the R/R straight to the battery. The bike is now charging at 14.4 volts.

Cheers mate, got it in one - boingk
              Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2010, 11:58 PM. Reason: Added voltage

Comment

Originally posted by rasndas View Post
                I recently had a problem with my GS1100 which stopped charging and required a new stator and R/R. Because of this I have started checking all my bikes to see what kind of output the charging systems have. Yesterday after about a 30 ile ride I hooked up the multi meter to my 85 GS700E. At about 3000 RPM voltage at the battery was 16.3 volts. This seemed vey high so I cleaned all of the connections to the R/R and added an additional wire from the negative post on the battery to the black/white wire comming out of the R/R. Voltage was still 16.3 volts at the battery. I have no Idea how long it has been this way but am thinking this can't be good for the electrical system ( even though everything seems to work great and the battery doesn't seem to be boilng off alot of water) during operation the R/R was also cool to the touch and none of the wiring looked like it had been over heated. after stopping the engine the battery voltage would settle at about 13 volts with the ignition key off. Any one run into this? This is what happens to me when I start checking things that seem to be working perfectly OK.
                when I purchased a new Electrosport R/R back in '05 I never figured a new piece would overcharge. I kept "loosing" battery fluid thinking the battery was at fault. Wrong. The RR was displacing 15.5 V and just cooking the acid. I sent the RR back to electrosport, and those dikheads told me it tested within spec. and told me to go pound sand. I purchased a Rick's RR and it was right at 14 V.

Comment

Alright, so I just stuffed around checking ALL the connections for the charging circuit. I eventually found that although the connection for the R/R's ground was good at its intermediate connector, it was bad at the point where it earthed.

I fixed by grounding the R/R straight to the battery. The bike is now charging at 14.4 volts.

Cheers mate, got it in one - boingk
                  Alot of times that is all it takes

Comment

Working...
                  X