Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are all 81-83 gs650 Stators interchangable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are all 81-83 gs650 Stators interchangable?

Hello,
    i have run the ohms test on my stator and have one of three wires that gives infinite resistance when measured with any of the other two. I am going to use a dynatel and take an open reading on this wire as a precaution before buying another stator. I might get lucky and find the wire is open in the harness from the seat to the stator.

I also get only 7 vac or zero depending on the pair i measure.

I guess this means the stator is bad and i want to buy one on ebay which is used. With this information i figure there is nothing else to try and should go with another stator. (if i don't get lucky!)

My question is will any stator out of the model years 81-83 on the gs650 work for my 81???

They should all fit ,along with lots of other size suzukis of this era, although the wires might be different lengths or final connections. Search these forums- there's lots of info on this topic, since it's a common problem. Perform the entire gs charging health checkup and you'll be a lot happier!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Go to alpha sports and get the suzuki part number off their site, then go to Babbitts sports and do parts number search and it will give you a list of bikes with the same part as yours. Having stator problem myself. Put thread on here myself, so might read the answer to my question, very helpful. terrylee
      Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2010, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jftman,

In the Electrical Odds and Ends section of my website you will find lists of compatible charging system parts. Many GS bikes can use the same stators and regulator/rectifiers. Don't forget to check out the Stator Papers and all of the extra documentation created by Mr. posplayr regarding the GS Charging System Health. Clean connections and proper grounds are mandatory. Let me dump a TON of information on you. It's your "mega-welcome". Let's get started.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 08-12-2010, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X