Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs 850 - no lights

Hi,
    I was riding my GS850 (with Windjammer) and hit a bump. The headlight, taillight and dash lights all went out. The turn signals also quit working. I tried to take the LH switch assembly apart to check for something broken and broke it myself. I replaced it with a new switch (which is sweet) but still have no lights. I checked the wiring connectors everywhere (took off the tank and fairing) and found nothing. I replaced the fuses and examined the fuse block and found nothing wrong. I think that I have a bad connection in the fairing. because I could get the radio and running lights to flicker if I moved the wires. I am at a loss at this point, so tomorrow it is going to the shop. Anyone have any ideas? This is my favorite and most reliable bike.......

You already found it, get in there and jiggle wires until you find the one that's causing problems. A shop will charge you hundreds to have some ignorant punk do the same thing.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Look in two places: wiring harness to fairing plug, and the big bag of wires. Clean all connections, look for melted or melting connectors, fix same, it will all work again. Since taillights and gauge lights all went out at the same time as well as the headlight, I'm betting it's in the bag of wires.

Comment

what do all of those lights have in common? Ground

just a thought, I dont know 100% obviously
        ---Eric

Comment

For the sake of all that is good and well-lubed, don't take it to a shop.

That way lies only misery, poverty, and despair.

Fix it yerdamself!
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

NO SHOP NO SHOP NO SHOP..... get yourself a $2 12V checker and start hunting, it'll be fun!!...well it'll be fun when you find it, fix it and spend the pile of money you save on parts for your bike. You've already figured out that it's a loose connection somewhere now all you have to do is track it down, not that hard and really doesn't take more than a couple of hours if that.
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Let there be light!

First of all, thank you for all of your suggestions. I really do appreciate your help!

I took my bike to a local independent shop...who is also a good friend. I spent $100 and my problem is fixed. Well worth it to me. I am a full-time teacher and parent of 2 teen-age daughters, so the money spent is very well worth my time alone in the garage. There was a bad connection under the tank...a black wire, which I believe is a power wire, was loose and not making good contact. Solution: put a new connector on and re-connect the plug...we have all lights working as normal.

Now, I would have NEVER taken my deal old suzie to the local dealer, to have some pimple-faced kid experiment on her.....NEVER. My reliable mechanic Dave, who I will take anything to because he is honest and competent, is another situation entirely. Sorry that these guys are so lacking in our bike shops. I am glad that I have a good one! If you are in the Illinois Quad City area, let me know and I will forward you his number.

Too bad that the AMA can't look after the needs of us long-time riders...huh?

Comment

Working...
              X