No announcement yet.

Further reasons to check your electrical system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed -- the acid dip tip is just kooky.

Any decent electronics store (Hint: Radio Shack is not a decent electronics store) should have Deoxit. I got mine at Frys.

I believe Deoxit is also well-known amongst audiophiles, so it might show up if there's a shop that installs or builds high-end sound systems or PA equipment.

Deoxit is great stuff!
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by almarconi View Post
      First off..muriatic acid is the same as hydrochloric acid. Stuff is nasty and highly corrosive. You don't want to put that on your electrical connections. Plain water will not neutralize it, if you must use something, use a solution of baking soda and water. Use a product like DeOxit for cleaning your electrical connections and then some dielectric grease. I don't know who would have given you a tip like that but its simply bad advice.
      I have used milder acids (like Naval Jelley) to clean up corrosion and make the brass/copper bright again. It gets into and eats corrosion out of crimps , after washing I solder the crimp to keep out further corrosion.

Rust removal
      Phosphoric acid may be used as a "rust converter", by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces. The phosphoric acid converts reddish-brown iron(III) oxide (rust) to black ferric phosphate, FePO4.
      "Rust converter" is sometimes a greenish liquid suitable for dipping (in the same sort of acid bath as is used for pickling metal), but it is more often formulated as a gel, commonly called naval jelly. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer". As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces.

Comment

Phosphoric acid is useful for removing rust and corrosion. It also has the benefit of leaving a phosphate coating. Its great for cleaning fuel tanks,rusty fasteners..etc. Make sure to thoroughly neutralize it after you are done using it.

Comment

Working...
        X