Bike won't start...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike won't start...

Just bought a 1980 gs850, ran when I bought it. The day after, I switch the handle bars and when they didn't fit I put the old one back on. Bike then had no crank, so I charged the battery. Now I have a crank and no start. Can't figure out why it won't turn over. I was told to make sure the fuel pet cock was in the right position but there isn't a level with which to operate. If anyone has an idea, please help me out before I throw this bike at my neighbors house.

Thanks,
    Joe.

Welcome to GSR.

80 850, great bikes.

The fact that things different after having charged the battery makes me suspect either a charging system problem or the battery, just because the battery didnt crank it over.

You charged the battery, and then it would crank. But maybe battery was still not charged enough to crank and make good ignition. I would suggest charging battery some more, and trying again.
    Also check fluid level in battery (if that type).

If/ when you get it started, you stil will not know if charging system not charging battery of if its just that the battery is getting weak.

Can check charging system if you have a volt meter. Have one?
    Find BassCliff BikeCliff website, he has a good tutorial for checking charging voltage. (Can google BassCliff BikeCliff, or he will pop in here before too long.)

Oh, wait, am not suppose to give advise untill you post picture of bike
    (joking)

Were are you at?
    Maybe I can be your neighbor, any you throw your bike my way.

REVISED>>>>>
    Lets see if I remember. Petcock foward is REServe (points toward gas station, head to gas station), down is ON (which is really automatic vacuum operated, on when engine running and off when engine off), petcock pointed back is PRIme. If having trouble starting put on PRIme, but dont leave it there for more than a couple minutes or so.
    Last edited by Redman; 08-15-2010, 08:32 AM. Reason: Doah! Revised petcock description.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

check for spark, if there is no spark, then the spark plug should be wet with fuel, tell us what you find out.
      where do you live? If you put that info on your signature some one might be able to help you out.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Slayer,

After re-installing your handlebars and controls, carefully check the wiring and switches. It almost sounds as if the kill switch is in the "OFF" position or has been tweaked somehow. There are some ignition troubleshooting tips on the Electrical Odd and Ends page of my little website. As for your petcock, see the "Where Do These Hoses Go?" page. The lever pointing forward is REServe. The lever pointing down is ON. The lever pointing toward the rear of the bike is PRIme.

Actually, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Slayer View Post
          Just bought a 1980 gs850, ... I was told to make sure the fuel pet cock was in the right position but there isn't a level with which to operate. ...
          Originally posted by Redman View Post
          80 850, great bikes.

Lets see if I remember. Petcock foward is PRIme, down is ON (which is really automatic vacuum operated, on when engine running and off when engine off), petcock pointed back is REServe. If having trouble starting put on PRIme, but dont leave it there for more than a couple minutes or so. ...
          Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          ... As for your petcock, see the "Where Do These Hoses Go?" page. The lever pointing forward is REServe. The lever pointing down is ON. The lever pointing toward the rear of the bike is PRIme.
          OK, guys, you missed a clue there. He has a 1980 bike and can't tell the petcock position.

HE HAS THE DREADED 1980 PETCOCK.

But this also tells me that he probably has an 850L, as my 850G has a "normal" petcock that has a lever.

Now let's see if I can rememer correctly, ... there is a slot in the petcock that can be turned with a screwdriver. I believe that horizontal is your "normal" position and vertical is your "prime" position. There are very few times you will want to put it into "prime".

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi Mr. Slayer,
            ... The lever pointing forward is REServe. The lever pointing down is ON. The lever pointing toward the rear of the bike is PRIme.

BassCliff
            Hi Cliff,

Ah. Okay. Mental malfuction on my part.

Dave

Originally posted by Steve View Post

But this also tells me that he probably has an 850L, as my 850G has a "normal" petcock that has a lever.

Now let's see if I can rememer correctly, ... there is a slot in the petcock that can be turned with a screwdriver. I believe that horizontal is your "normal" position and vertical is your "prime" position. There are very few times you will want to put it into "prime".

Steve,
            Now that I reviewed things:
            - I misstated about operation of petcock on 850G (and have revised my posting).

- You surmised correctly that if Slayer is asking about the petcock the way he did, that maybe he has an L model.
            ANd on further review, I see he did specifially state that his pectock has no lever. So, yah, probably an L model.
            Last edited by Redman; 08-15-2010, 08:44 AM.
            http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Slayer,
              Anytime you pick up an old dilapidated motorcycle there are a lot of things that need to be done to it. Take a look on Cliff's site, go through his list and do all the things he recommends.
              Hopping on and riding without tending to these issues is asking for trouble. The non starting is a minor point, and a blessing in disguise. Once everything else is done correctly it will fire right up.

What did your neighbor do?
              Last edited by tkent02; 08-15-2010, 11:08 AM.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
              X