bike not turning off with key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 gs 700 e key is not turning off bike or lights. Run off switch will shut off bike but inst panel and headlight stay on. Unless the battery is unhooked. This must have started friday when I parked my bike. Today i went out and my battery was dead. New r&r and stator no battery issues since untill today. Earlier today gsr member steve suggested that the ignition may be full of crud bridging the contacts. Sadly this is not the problem. Ignition has been fully torn down and cleaned at this point with no change to problem. Could the ignition just be bad? What would be some other causes of this? Any ideas are appreciated thank you 70GT
    Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2010, 11:45 AM.

Sounds like there is a bunch of crud inside the ignition switch that is bridging the contacts, keeping the circuits live.

Also appears that the period key on your keboard is broken.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Check the molded plug from your ignition switch to the wiring harness. Mine melted, bridged the wires and I had to cut the plug out and re-attach with heavy duty spade connectors, problem solved.

Comment

Check your fuse box

It's probably bridging between two fuses

Check my post

Dan had exactly the same problem
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Also appears that the period key on your keboard is broken.

Nope, the space bar is broken
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

I have just repaired mine by re-soldering & epoxy... now need to work out what the true cause is.

Will keep testing & report back
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

bike not turning off with key gs 700 E

Okay guys thanks for the help to this point . But I still have not found the problem . So far I have torn down and cleaned the ignition switch . Inspected all the connections inside the headlight bucket . Removed and inspected the fuse box (blade style) . Also I have looked for any loose connections or wires rubbed bare . Just not finding anything wrong . The only thing I noticed is one leg of my stator wires seems to have gotten hot not to melting status but you could tell it has been hot . Also noticed that with the fuse box disconnected hooking up the battery still lights up the inst panel there is no fuse in the box for it so it must get power from another source . The help is much appreciated thank you . 70GT

Comment

Originally posted by 70GT View Post
                Okay guys thanks for the help to this point . But I still have not found the problem . So far I have torn down and cleaned the ignition switch . Inspected all the connections inside the headlight bucket . Removed and inspected the fuse box (blade style) . Also I have looked for any loose connections or wires rubbed bare . Just not finding anything wrong . The only thing I noticed is one leg of my stator wires seems to have gotten hot not to melting status but you could tell it has been hot . Also noticed that with the fuse box disconnected hooking up the battery still lights up the inst panel there is no fuse in the box for it so it must get power from another source . The help is much appreciated thank you . 70GT
                You either have a broken ignition switch or a short somewhere keeping the ignition hot. remove the ignition switch plug and test it with an ohm meter as you more the key to different positions. If it is OK

Then I suspect the output of the ignition switch Solid orange is probably still hot even with the ignition switch out.

You have a short or a fuse box short like the other guys. It is important you find out where it is.

Comment

Something some where is melted. As Jim stated check the orange wire.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi I figured out part of my problem . Something to do with the way I wired in my new r&r . I had the black wire off the r&r hooked into my brake light switch . It worked fine that way for about 600 miles and then I dont know what happend . I know unhooking it makes my ins pnl and headlight shut off when the key is off like it should . I can see some wiring mods were done on the battery end of the red r&r wire . Looks like they were running a non stock r&r with the black hooked up differently then on a duanage unit . Everything seems to be working good now . For how long who knows . Thanks again 70GT

Comment

Working...
                    X