12V Cigarette Lighter Adapter Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12V Cigarette Lighter Adapter Help

Hello folks, looking for a positive lead to attach a 12V adapter to. I'm lazy, so I figured i'd ask y'all. Thanx in advance!

Originally posted by rafe View Post
    hello folks, looking for a positive lead to attach a 12v adapter to. I'm lazy, so i figured i'd ask y'all. Thanx in advance!
    aux .................

Comment

Ok thanx, can you road map where I might find the aux lead? I looked at my wiring diagram and couldn't find anything labeled auxilary.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2010, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I bought a cig lighter for a car, then wired it direct to the battery with an inline fuse. I dont attach it unless I need to charge something and that isnt to often... but I have it if I need it.

Mine is under my seat and zip tied to the frame so the wire would sneak out between the seat and side cover but stay covered. Also angled slightly down and out so if water got in it wont stay in.

Really depends how fancy you are going for... me, I just wanted something that would work and could be left out of the system most of the time. I just pop off the side cover, add those two wires to the battery and cover it again.

Comment

IIRC it's the bottom fuse on the block, but your trusty manual should tell you for certain.
          You can probably trace that to a free connector in your headlight bucket, then wire it up from there.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
            IIRC it's the bottom fuse on the block, but your trusty manual should tell you for certain.
            You can probably trace that to a free connector in your headlight bucket, then wire it up from there.

Not sure what use is intend with the 12V adapter or whether it is desired to be switched or not but the Aux is a fused direct connect to the battery/R/R that doesn't go through the ignition switch and does not load any of the other circuits.

Works as a battery charging point or accessory plug; I have a 12V plug in adapter mounted on my handle bar with two wires running back to the fuse box.

Comment

Thanx folks. I just wired it to the Main fuse in the fuse box and it's working for now. Unfortunatly, the Main fuse isn't switched when the bike is off but all the others are. Just too lazy to reconnect it.

Comment

The only problem with connecting to the MAIN fuse is that if whatever you are powering with the lighter socket blows a fuse, EVERYTHING dies.

Do you have two screws at the end of your fuse box? The fuse right next to them (which is right next to the MAIN fuse) is the AUX fuse, and it powers one of the screws. The other screw is a ground connection. If you can momentarily overcome your laziness long enough to do it, move the lighter socket to those screws. If you then happen to overload a fuse, it will only be the one fuse, not the whole bike.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Steve is right- don't use main fuse. If you don't have aux on your fusebox, wire plug to battery using an inline fuse holder. The main fuse is pretty much maxed out on this bike.
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I'm probably too late to add my bit, but here goes anyway.

Yeah. Always to the battery.
                    Run an inline fuse heavy enough to deal with what you might be drawing the power too.
                    I would say 10 amp would be heavy enough for phone/GPS/MP3 etc.

Make sure you get a good rubber coated plug with a cap.
                    They are pretty common in auto shops. Well, over here anyway.

I've run one in the Kwaka for 2 years without a hitch.
                    I put the multimeter across it and it is drawing less than one half of a poofteenth if it's not connected to anything.

Something like this..

Comment

Working...
                    X