Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike Starts to shut off when i try to go top speed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Starts to shut off when i try to go top speed!

At the very end of 4th gear (100 Mph) and the end of 5th gear my bike starts to shut off! like the guage and everything starts to just flicker i can feel the engine start to stop pulling etc... do my coils suck or something? i know most likely not faulty connections i just re-did my whole electrical not to long ago... im guessing my coils suck?
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Your coil doesn't know which gear it's in, sounds like you are running out of fuel in the carburetor bowls. Do you have a fuel filter? If so it may not be flowing enough for sustained full throttle operation. Does your petcock flow enough?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The bike is trying to tell you to slow down . Are the lights in your gauges flickering from vibration (one of my bulbs does that), are you starving for fuel, or are your plug caps breaking down (I had to replace all of mine, and one of the new ones just had to be replaced). OR, is it possible you missed, or didn't check something because it looked good on the outside when you checked the harness. Some of my white multiple wire connectors were getting a little too warm. I soaked the ends in simple green overnight, dipped them in water, used a compressor to blow out all the moisture, filled them with dielectric grease and plugged them back together. They run absolutely cool now. You might have several things going on that are confusing the issue.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Your coil doesn't know which gear it's in, sounds like you are running out of fuel in the carburetor bowls. Do you have a fuel filter? If so it may not be flowing enough for sustained full throttle operation. Does your petcock flow enough?
        hmm im pretty sure it gets enough fuel but i havent tried prim yet... would that really caust the eletrical to start spazzing out and pretty much shut off though? lol maybe its just "someone" telling me not to go that fast because the bike is mint otherwise!

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
          hmm im pretty sure it gets enough fuel but i havent tried prim yet... would that really caust the eletrical to start spazzing out and pretty much shut off though? lol maybe its just "someone" telling me not to go that fast because the bike is mint otherwise!
          No, I missed the part about the gauges flickering. So something electrical.

The same RPM in the lower gears and there is no problem?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            The same RPM in the lower gears and there is no problem?
            yupp thats what puzzles me! its like the bike is topping out and its like your gonna start seeing sparks and springs flying everywhere! lol not literally but i am just curious why this would happen... This Problem happened even before i did all my re-wiring but it has gotten better id say because before the bike would just literally shut off and then i would let off the gas and then she would come back to life! now she just flickers and acts like its gonna shut off when i top out 4th or try to get high in 5th

Comment

Might look at the wires going to the coils.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
              X