screw stuck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

screw stuck...

hey guys, this is probably a stupid question but here goes. I'm in the process of replacing my stator and im trying to loosen the 'main' wire guide screw and its not budging...i don't have an impact driver but would that do it? i'm more or less in the process of building a decent tool set so forgive me for being a newb!

also while I'm at it: the wires on the new stator are in a white insulation at the base (and its also tied onto the stator itself), am i supposed to cover this with the black rubbery insulation?

I actually replaced my stator just last week and used an impact driver on it. Not the new ones, I have an old one that you put on and then hit with a hammer. As long as the bit is the right size that will work. Just be careful not to strip it, good luck!

Comment

I managed to grab the screwheads with my baby visegrip ( five inches long- genuine USA - super hard jaws ), when I replaced my stator last week. I don't think you should add any insulation. Make sure you clean gasket surfaces.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

An impact driver does wonders on those screws. Make sure you put some rags or something soft under the case so you don't scratch it. On mine, the other two cable retaining clip screws deformed too much so I just bent up the tabs to get the wires out then bent them back rather than mess with a vise grip on the screws.

Comment

thanks a lot for the replies guys! I'll head down to Canadian Tire tonight, hopefully I can get everything back together!

and Highway_Glider I'm in Mississauga right now

Comment

actually applied heat (torch) and then w/extra pair of hands (one of us holding the stator cover, the other working the screwdriver) got it out. I replaced mine with stainless hex-heads for the next owner's pleasure.

Comment

Working...
            X