It's alive....BUT....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's alive....BUT....

The 650G is alive again after begin down and apart for over a year. Amazing what a Dyna ignition can do. However, it is missing and not where expected. From feeling the exhaust pipes, 3 and 4 appear to be firing while 1 and 2 may not be. After several minutes at idle I can still put my hand across both pipes. I believe that the coil wires are correct and the mod had been done as well. The most RPM I have seen is about 3500~ or so.

I may have this in the wrong forum. The carbs have not been cleaned yet. I wanted to see if it would start first. Any thoughts?????

Important thing is that it is ALIVE.....

OK, let's keep it in this forum for a bit.

You think the coils/plugs are correct? The left coil should be powering plugs 1&4, the right coil should be powering 2&3.

For each coil, there is no specific terminal for a spark plug. Both plugs fire at the same time, so it does not matter where it's plugged in.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, the plug wires are in the correct places from the correct coils. Since it was dark outside, I decided to check the coils (again) with plugs to see if they were firing. They were not always sparking when I hit the ground wire. I am beginning to wonder if the coils or plug wires have gotten weak?

Comment

Let me see if I have this straight.

You just put a new Dyna ignition on there and did not also put new coils and wires on?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You are correct (bowing head sheepishly...). Didn't have the money for both at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by dw200 View Post
            You are correct (bowing head sheepishly...). Didn't have the money for both at the time.
            It's okay - lots of members run stock coils with their Dynas. My 79 does

Next step would be to pull the plug wires, trim off the ends and put new caps on them. That connection gets corroded and inhibits spark

I don't understand how you checked for spark - did you pull a plug, connect the plug wire and lay it against the head? What color was the spark?
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

originally I pulled the wires and put plugs in and put them on the cylinder heads and cranked. Got a weak blue spark some of the time and nothing at some times. This afternoon I took the caps off and metered the wires/coils. They both read around 13-14K with no caps. Checked the caps with the meter and one got no reading at all. I trimmed all of the wires and put the old caps back on just to see what would happen. No improvement but I didn;t expect any. I believe it is time to go find some new caps.

Comment

Ordered new ones from Z1 today. Mu local Suzuki dealer was not exactly helpful. If Z1 is as fast with this order as they were with the Dyna ignition then I may have them by Monday or Tuesday. After playing with the caps it was running a little bit rougher than the other night so the boots are a definite issue here.

Comment

New boots are on and the spark issue has gone away. However, it is still not starting and running any better. Cylinder 1 & 2 exhaust pipes are still cool enough to touch after several minutes of rough idle. Carb cleaning time?

Comment

Working...
                  X