Turn signals don't blink

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals don't blink

Hello, I have a 82 GS650E. One of the turn signals was busted so I bought 4 new ones off e-bay (the bulb looks to have a double wire).

Now they come on but don't blink. I don't remember if they blinked before or not. Also they do not work as running lights (Should they)?

I looked at the wiring diagram but it is very hard for me to understand. please give me any advice on how to fix this issuie. Thanks

Might want to look into getting a newer turn signal flasher relay. Check out Basscliff's site for instructions on how to install it and what types will work for you. Essentially, you can get one from any auto parts store and run it from there.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks, I founf some good info on his site. i will go tomorrow and buy one.
      thanks again.

Comment

Before buying a flasher, try cleaning all the bullet connectors for your lights. Your front SHOULD have two wires going to the signal (one black and one grey) and then a third ground wire that is cinched behind the nut that holds the signal to the fork ear. That one is black and white. All the connections must be clean and tight, especially the ground. The right turn signal wires should go, if I recall correctly grey to grey, black to light green. Black and wife to black and white. Left side should be grey to grey, black to black, BW to BW. The stock system requires a specific amount of load to operate the flashed, as well as the self cancel timer. If it doesn't see that load because of a dirty ground, or bad or loose connection, it won't flash. If you use and aftermarket flashed relay, it will still require clean solid grounds, and it will eliminate your autocancel feature.

Comment

I didn't think any of 81- 83 gs650 had self cancelling turn signals. If the lights you bought off ebay are double filament bulbs you have to make sure you use the brighter filament (23 watts) for the turn signal, or there won't be enough current draw for flasher to work. Also, the suzuki black/white wire is ground so make sure this goes to bulb base with good contact.You can easily use other bulb filament as a running light either now or later. Make sure you go to Basscliff's site for a readable wiring diagram- having colors is enlightening.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
          X