engine perforance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

engine perforance

Does the ignition coil output affect the engine's perforance?
    Weaker spark translates into less power? If so, how can we check the ignition coils' output?
    I'm having a '82 1100ez and notice 2 of the extractors are not as hot as the others when warming up the bike. I was advised to get new ignition coils.
    Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The factory 1100 coils are NOTORIOUSLY weak, especially after almost 30 YEARS! Do the coil relay mod (do a search) & order a set of the 3.0 ohm GREEN Dynatek coils & the gray RESISTOR plug wires from them also. I am a dealer for Dynatek & can help you if needed, I can also build you some more power when you get bored with the anemic stock motor! LOL!!! Ray.

Comment

Ray,
      Can Dyna S pickups be tested... I am having intermittent spark on 1 and 4.I already have the green coils.Trip and I are going to play with it hopefully on Sunday. Sorry to hijack...
      Curt
      sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
        Ray,
        Can Dyna S pickups be tested... I am having intermittent spark on 1 and 4.I already have the green coils.Trip and I are going to play with it hopefully on Sunday. Sorry to hijack...
        Curt
        You have to measure the voltage at the negative side of the coils. When the ignitor is "ON" the voltage is something like 1.0 V.
        IIRC if it is higher it is a symptom of the Dyna going out. Bill (Chef1366 told me the voltages once but I forget).
        Jim

Comment

Thanks. I am an electrical mallet head... Hopefully Trip will help this weekend...
          Curt

Comment

Be careful Curt, Trip is just a "Mallet head" period!!! LOL!! Hey Jeff!!! Ray.

Comment

He does seem to have fun with life... on a side note, went to the drag boat races lst night... what a blast.. look on funonthefox.com... later
              Curt

Comment

Working...
              X