Dead Stator...RM Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead Stator...RM Stator

My 6 month old RM Stator died... All connections were soldered. When I bought the stator , I was not impressed with it at all. Little to no epoxy on the windings and the lead out wires were very thin. They actually got hot enough the first day to melt. i took the cover off and replaced the lead out wires with high temp wires and even megged the stator to make sure it was not damaged.

8,000 miles later, the windings went to ground... With no epoxy, they burnt the magnet wire insulation off and shorted to the case. Still ohm good from wire to wire, but short to case...

SOOO, who makes a QUALITY stator?

Looking at the stator pages, Are the ElctroSport ones holding out?

Their sight lists EGS020 for a 83 GS1100E and a EGS010 for an 83 1100 Katana?? What was different about the katana?

ken
    Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2010, 10:10 AM.

The RM Stator and Electrosport stators that I've seen look suspiciously similar. Makes me wonder if they come from the same Chinese factory. I'd go for either OE or a Ricks.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I purchased a RM stator and didn't like it either, barely 60 VAC brand new
      1979 GS1000E (44 Yrs), 1981 GPz550
      Departed: 1970 Yamaha R5A, 1971 R5B, 1975 Honda XL250, 1983 Suzuki PE175, 1983 CB1100F, 1983 BMW R100RS, 1992 ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        The RM Stator and Electrosport stators that I've seen look suspiciously similar. Makes me wonder if they come from the same Chinese factory. I'd go for either OE or a Ricks.

Ed,
        I know you have seen this picture of my electrosport stator mountee on the ED. The powder coating seems to be particularly heavy and much better than some Ricks stators that have been supplied for Aprilas. Are you able to discern from the picture if this is chinese powdercoating?

Jim

Last edited by posplayr; 08-27-2010, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post
          My 6 month old RM Stator died... All connections were soldered. When I bought the stator , I was not impressed with it at all. Little to no epoxy on the windings and the lead out wires were very thin. They actually got hot enough the first day to melt. i took the cover off and replaced the lead out wires with high temp wires and even megged the stator to make sure it was not damaged.

8,000 miles later, the windings went to ground... With no epoxy, they burnt the magnet wire insulation off and shorted to the case. Still ohm good from wire to wire, but short to case...

SOOO, who makes a QUALITY stator?

Looking at the stator pages, Are the ElctroSport ones holding out?

Their sight lists EGS020 for a 83 GS1100E and a EGS010 for an 83 1100 Katana?? What was different about the katana?

ken
          Ken,
          If you are riding your bike aggressively and maintaining sustained RPM above 5-6K RPM then you can smoke your stator in short order due to the SHUNT R/R that is prevalent. My last stator lasted right about 8K miles as well. I have now switched to theCompufire SERIES R/R.

problem solved.
          Jim

Comment

Here is an entire thread dedicated to Rick's stators in various versions trying to solve an issue with stators burning up.

AF1 Racing is a top-rated authorized Aprilia, Vespa, Piaggio, Moto Guzzi, Zero, Energica, Ural and SWM

while there maybe some slight differences in power output due to windings I thing the best you can do is to find a stator with a good mechanical coating on the stator. In that regard the electrsport seems to be the best I have seen.

Having said that unless you putz around you can fry your stator using a SHUNT R/R.

The Main problem the Aprila guys had is that Aprila installed a rotor with twice the magnetic strength and doubled the power output of the R/R. In a SHUNT mode the stators fry.

Comment

here is a pic showing that the last stator I had in my ED which lasted 8K miles was very likely a Ricks

They are not immune to frying. And from this picture it appears to have a very limited amount of insulation and mechanical support for the windings. That is bad
              news.

There are electromotive forces on the windings as the rotors magnets move past. If the windings flex they will eventually wear through thier insulations and short. That is why "some" maufacturers coat the winding in heavy epoxy coatings to support the windings. Ricks DOES NOT do that.
              Last edited by posplayr; 08-27-2010, 11:02 AM.

Comment

My RM stator looks just like the ricks picture... NO epoxy or coating on the windings.
                I drove the bike every day to work, Interstate in the morning and twisties back. Yes it spent a great deal of time between 5 and 6k rpm.

I will try the ElectoSport one. Will have to save a little for the Compufire...

I JUST bought a brand new set of Dunlop Q2's and NOW the stator

I am broke

Going to shut the shop doors for awhile and fire up my convertible Mustang...

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post
                  My RM stator looks just like the ricks picture... NO epoxy or coating on the windings.
                  I drove the bike every day to work, Interstate in the morning and twisties back. Yes it spent a great deal of time between 5 and 6k rpm.

I will try the ElectoSport one. Will have to save a little for the Compufire...

I JUST bought a brand new set of Dunlop Q2's and NOW the stator

I am broke

Going to shut the shop doors for awhile and fire up my convertible Mustang...
                  Those pics of my stator are how much it got brown in only 250 miles using a FET based R/R so I would limit the RPM till you can deal with the problem. I also did a sprayer before figuring out the SERIES r/r stuff but that is not nessesarily a whole lot cheaper and really is just a bandaid.

It was however effective at keeping the stator cool.

Comment

As soon as your motor starts, the stator is pushing 150 + watts. Then, motor heats up to 200 degrees to add to the fun. The magnet wire used in stator must be REAL good to survive this high temp enviroment. But it also has to be flexable enough to be wrapped tightly around the core without chafing its insulation. I'm not convinced that lathering the stator with an epoxy or plastic coating is helpful. It definitely restricts heat transfer- forcing the stator cover hub to absorb more heat. Yes, there are mechanical forces tugging at windings, but these should have been dealt with during winding operation. That being said..... I just replaced my 81 oem stator ( heavily coated) with an ebay item said to be off 82 gs450 tx ? (lightly coated ). I had another stator like my original, but the ebay item looked nicely done and so I used it. The pics being posted here from others show some crude winding techniques. Hopefully, we will find out who's making a decent stator-a six months life is ridiculous.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      As soon as your motor starts, the stator is pushing 150 + watts. Then, motor heats up to 200 degrees to add to the fun. The magnet wire used in stator must be REAL good to survive this high temp enviroment. But it also has to be flexable enough to be wrapped tightly around the core without chafing its insulation. I'm not convinced that lathering the stator with an epoxy or plastic coating is helpful. It definitely restricts heat transfer- forcing the stator cover hub to absorb more heat. Yes, there are mechanical forces tugging at windings, but these should have been dealt with during winding operation. That being said..... I just replaced my 81 oem stator ( heavily coated) with an ebay item said to be off 82 gs450 tx ? (lightly coated ). I had another stator like my original, but the ebay item looked nicely done and so I used it. The pics being posted here from others show some crude winding techniques. Hopefully, we will find out who's making a decent stator-a six months life is ridiculous.
                      With a series R/R all my worries are gone
                      Last edited by posplayr; 08-27-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Makes me wonder? As I have the heaver 12 pole stator in my 79GS850. The bike has 46K miles on her. As far as I know it is the original. At 20k I did put the Honda Reg on her when I was putting her back on the road along with a relay to power the fuse panel. Anyone considering buying a new reg should consider the NEW Compu fire regulator OR at least the FS012?
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-27-2010, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                          Makes me wonder? As I have the heaver 12 pole stator in my 79GS850. The bike has 46K miles on her. As far as I know it is the original. At 20k I did put the Honda Reg on her when I was putting her back on the road along with a relay to power the fuse panel. Anyone considering buying a new reg should consider the NEW Compu fire regulator OR at least the FS012?
                          The FH0012A doesn't really help, slight worse on the stator if anything.

The OEM is probably best as it might let the charging voltage get to 15V which means less power dissipated in the stator.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post

I my tour of the local winding shop I found out a few interesting things,

1 Most winding shops won't use anything less than class F (150C)or class H(180C) magnet wire
                            2 the oil in the sump actually COOLS the windings.
                            3 The tight winding and epoxy IS how winders deal with the electromotive forces
                            4 The epoxy is very thermally conductive.

It really shouldn't be that hard to make a stator that lasts, it's dead simple technology.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
                              2 the oil in the sump actually COOLS the windings.
                              3 The tight winding and epoxy IS how winders deal with the electromotive forces
                              4 The epoxy is very thermally conductive.
                              That is why I really like the Electro sport stator I pictured. When compared to the Ricks which looks like then never heard of electromotive with that barely discernible clear coat on the windings.

It is quite clear also that the "COOLING" oil on my GS was only effective at the bottom. The top turned brown; hence my installation of an oil sprayer.

In order to burn powder coating that cures at 400 degF the windings must reach 500-600 deg F, that is why 200 degF oil is very cooling.

It also explains why the dead simple technology is so problematic. The SHUNT R/R's stress the crap out of the stators. SERIES R/R is the only way to go.
                              Last edited by posplayr; 08-28-2010, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X