brake light help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake light help

so my brake light stays on in the rear looked at all conections all sems good anything else to look at or ceretain conector thanks.

Have you tried disconnecting the wires at the rear brake switch? and at the front brake lever? That would at least let you know if a switch was staying closed which one it was.

Comment

no will do it know tho

Comment

ok the front brake lever sensor or whatever is there is the problem whats the fix whole new set up lever front resivor and the whole thing or what thanks for any and all help

Comment

Most times you can take it apart and clean it, if it's the spring and slider. They're a bit hokie.

Comment

i just tool the platic cover off it has 2 solder joints on it. dose it come off farther than this tanks

Comment

There is the board with the two contacts on it, but there is also the brass slider that goes across the contacts, a spring that pushes the slider against the contacts and a plastic piece that goes on the other end of the spring, and goes into the brake lever.

All those little parts are why we suggest tying a plastic bag or a pillow case around the end of the handlebar before taking it apart.

If you have other stuff that you need as well, you can get that switch assembly from Parts-n-More for $6.
              I say "other stuff" because they have a $35 minimum, but only $5 flat-rate shipping.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ill pull it apart and check it out thanks

Comment

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website.

Front Brake Switch Repair

(by Mr. gravity tester)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

took it all apart and cleaned it but that little plastic piece that holds the little brass piece dosent go back up into the brake lever area. any clue what is suppost to break the contact between the brass slide and the 2 brass lines. it makes constant contact

Comment

The brass slide moves off the end of the contacts, it needs the plastic piece in there to make it move with the brake lever. Sometimes the plastic piece gets mangled, there's a spare in your clutch safety switch.
                      Once it's all together, loosen the screws and move the whole assembly lengthwise to adjust it until you find the correct spot where it works.
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by crazypaint View Post
                        took it all apart and cleaned it but that little plastic piece that holds the little brass piece dosent go back up into the brake lever area. any clue what is suppost to break the contact between the brass slide and the 2 brass lines. it makes constant contact
                        And if/when you can't get it to work consistently, you can replace the entire little slider switch assembly with a "hydraulic switch banjo bolt" which replaces your brakes master cylinder banjo bolt and makes the connection based on hydraulic pressure ... about $20 and no more aggravation ...

Comment

Working...
                        X