HID lighting...best options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HID lighting...best options?

I have ballasts and all the wiring and relays I would need. What I want to figure out is a dual light fixture. I don't want to do the side by side headlights. I'm thinking two projectors mounted one on top the other...my only problem is that most of the projectors I have seen are too deep to fit into a standard housing.

I do not want to do a bixenon setup.

I was just wondering what others have done? Anyone tried a doing something similar on a naked bike?

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
    I have ballasts and all the wiring and relays I would need. What I want to figure out is a dual light fixture. I don't want to do the side by side headlights. I'm thinking two projectors mounted one on top the other...my only problem is that most of the projectors I have seen are too deep to fit into a standard housing.

I do not want to do a bixenon setup.

I was just wondering what others have done? Anyone tried a doing something similar on a naked bike?
    My GS is completely naked (no fairing)

I did bi-xenon, which works fine so far.

One of the sellers of hi-lo that is not xenon (has halogen high beam) cautioned against bi-xenon and said that the moving part didn't stand up to vibration. I bought an H4 bi-xenon intended for a car (so it has 2 of everything) so that I would have a spare (just in case). It was $10 more ...
    However, I suspect that a majority of motorcycle HIDs end up mounted to Hardley Ablesons ... which may have a tad more vibration than a GS ... so we'll see how long it lasts ...

If you find something for over/under, I would be interested in hearing about it.

FWIW, theoretically you shouldn't use HID for a high beam since it doesn't like being switched on and off a lot ... OTOH, if you mainly want the high beam to be on (and really bright) during the day for visibility to other drivers then it makes a lot of sense.

That's my two cents ...

Comment

I only want a low beam. I have to have a high beam by law...it can be a flash light for all I care.

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
        I only want a low beam. I have to have a high beam by law...it can be a flash light for all I care.
        I'm of two minds on this ...

The first point being that its illegal to run HIDs anyway (unless you use special projector housings which are specifically made to use HID bulbs)
        But all the "conversion kit" type HIDs are technically illegal. The importers get away with selling them because they are "not for road use, show and offroad use only" ...
        And thats a Federal reg, so it applies to all the states ...

So you need to swap it out to pass inspection (if you have it) anyway ...
        And if a cop is looking to bust you for the lighting they can anyway (just because its HID), even if you have a high beam.

So legally I don't think you're much more at risk for not having a high beam

On the other hand, you can still have a high beam pretty easily without getting "bi-xenon".
        (just for my own curiosity ... why don't you want bi-xenon?)
        Search ebay for:
        motorcycle HID (hi-low,"hi low",hi-lo,"hi lo","hi/low","hi/lo") -"bi-xenon"
        Sort by "lowest price plus shipping"
        One of the first hits is this
        I'm prettty sure this is a HID low beam bulb with an attached "normal" halogen element in the high beam position.
        They have an 800 number, call to make sure ...

That will fit into a normal bike headlight, and give you a HID low beam (that stays on during both low and high beams) and a halogen element that comes on for high beams only.

Comment

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
          I'm of two minds on this ...

The first point being that its illegal to run HIDs anyway (unless you use special projector housings which are specifically made to use HID bulbs)
          But all the "conversion kit" type HIDs are technically illegal. The importers get away with selling them because they are "not for road use, show and offroad use only" ...

So you need to swap it out to pass inspection (if you have it) anyway ...
          And if a cop is looking to bust you for the lighting they can anyway (just because its HID), even if you have a high beam.

So legally I don't think you're much more at risk for not having a high beam

On the other hand, you can still have a high beam pretty easily without getting "bi-xenon".
          (just for my own curiosity ... why don't you want bi-xenon?)
          Search ebay for:
          motorcycle HID (hi-low,"hi low",hi-lo,"hi lo","hi/low","hi/lo") -"bi-xenon"
          Sort by "lowest price plus shipping"
          One of the first hits is this
          I'm prettty sure this is a HID low beam bulb with an attached "normal" halogen element in the high beam position.
          They have an 800 number, call to make sure ...

That will fit into a normal bike headlight, and give you a HID low beam (that stays on during both low and high beams) and a halogen element that comes on for high beams only.
          You're not fully representing the law, here: it is illegal in most states to run a HID lighting system in a fixture designed for halogen use.

Running a HID system in a halogen fixture is pointless. The patterns are different. HID bulbs in halogen fixtures = less usable light than a halogen bulb in the same fixture.

I will be using proper fixtures, and I will not be using a dual band bulb. There will be two fixtures...a high beam and a low beam. The goal here is a HID, constant-on low beam.

Comment

makenzie71

"Running a HID system in a halogen fixture is pointless. The patterns are different. HID bulbs in halogen fixtures = less usable light than a halogen bulb in the same fixture"

Please elaborate. I pretty new to this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewool View Post
              makenzie71

"Running a HID system in a halogen fixture is pointless. The patterns are different. HID bulbs in halogen fixtures = less usable light than a halogen bulb in the same fixture"

Please elaborate. I pretty new to this topic.
              The beam that a lamp projects depends on the position of the filament, the shape of the reflector and any patterning on the lens. In most cases, the arc (the light-producing part of an HID system) is not in the same location as the filament of a halogen bulb. Moving the source of the light will change the pattern that is projected.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I understand that part.
                I assumed that when something was marketed as an h4 they would have actually tried to duplicate the reflector and filament position of the lamp specification.
                Does anyone know of an actual test or comparison data? or is this all just "well I heard" or "a guy told me" I am just curious. I guess I should search the archives.

Comment

First hand experience with a 2009 Dodge Challenger and my 2006 Concours here. Using bi-xenon on both, with 5K~6K temperature bulbs. Night and day difference over halogens. I like it so much I've added it to my GS (project still underway). The low beam is so good the high beam is really not needed.

In regards to the "legal" stuff, HID was an option on the Dodge, so I don't see where the government has any need to insert themselves into my situation. For the others, it is incumbent on the government to prove beyond a reasonable doubt you are in violation of some obscure federal regulation (rots-o-ruck finding anything there) of which you were undoubtedly unaware. Are they going to take your headlamp apart at roadside to prove what is in there (read the Florida DOT law below)? If so, they had better have a search warrant in hand. The violation is non-criminal, so your bike can't be seized solely for this, and it cannot be taken apart w/o consent or a warrant if it were to be seized.

The use of a replacement part in an approved housing brings up another issue.

A third issue is the list of approved lighting devices. Ever seen one? You'd have to dig into your state's administrative code to find one if it exists.

Here in Florida, the applicable state laws are in chapter 316:

What is often referred to as the "DOT" (Department of Transportation) lighting section:
                  Selling or using lamps or equipment.

(1) No person shall have for sale, sell or offer for sale for use upon or as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer or use upon any such vehicle any headlamp, auxiliary or fog lamp, rear lamp, signal lamp, or reflector, which reflector is required hereunder, or parts of any of the foregoing, which tend to change the original design or performance, unless of a type which has been submitted to the department and approved. The foregoing provisions of this section shall not apply to equipment in actual use when this section is adopted or replacement parts therefor.
                  (2) No person shall have for sale, sell, or offer for sale for use upon or as a part of the equipment of a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer any lamp or device mentioned in this section which has been approved by the department unless such lamp or device bears thereon the trademark or name under which it is approved so as to be legible when installed.
                  (3) No person shall use upon any motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer any lamps mentioned in this section unless said lamps are mounted, adjusted, and aimed in accordance with instructions of the department.

Motorcycle specific laws related to headlights-
                  Headlamps.

(1) Every motorcycle and every motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two headlamps which shall comply with the requirements and limitations of this chapter.
                  (2) Every headlamp upon every motorcycle and motor-driven cycle shall be located at a height of not more than 54 inches nor less than 24 inches to be measured as set forth in s. 316.217(3).

316.430Multiple-beam road-lighting equipment.

(1) Every motorcycle other than a motor-driven cycle shall be equipped with multiple-beam road-lighting equipment.
                  (2) Such equipment shall:(a) Reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 300 feet ahead when the uppermost distribution of light is selected;
                  (b) Reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of at least 150 feet ahead when the lowermost distribution of light is selected.

On a straight, level road under any condition of loading none of the high intensity portion of the beam shall be directed to strike the eyes of an approaching driver.

Lighting equipment for motor-driven cycles.

The headlamp or headlamps upon every motor-driven cycle may be of the single-beam or multiple-beam type, but in either event shall comply with the requirements and limitations as follows:
                  (1) Every such headlamp or headlamps on a motor-driven cycle shall be of sufficient intensity to reveal persons and vehicles at a distance of not less than 100 feet when the motor-driven cycle is operated at any speed less than 25 miles per hour; at a distance of not less than 200 feet when the motor-driven cycle is operated at a speed of 25 or more miles per hour; and at a distance of not less than 300 feet when the motor-driven cycle is operated at a speed of 35 or more miles per hour.
                  (2) In the event the motor-driven cycle is equipped with a multiple-beam headlamp or headlamps, such equipment shall comply with the requirements of s. 316.430(2).

I missed that one in Article 1 Section 8.

Just kidding- but only sorta.

Comment

Working...
                  X