Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine Performance, Low vs. High beam, Turn Signal Relay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Performance, Low vs. High beam, Turn Signal Relay?

Hi everyone,

I was riding my GS300 on the road a bit today while I wait for the new title to come in today (Lessons this weekend!) and I don't know what made me do so but i decided to go from High Beams to low-beam light, when I did so the bike just lost power. it didn't shut off, didn't die, but there was VERY little power coming through even as i hit the throttle.

I turned on the high beams and it picked right back up.

So i stop and try again, and same thing.

I remembered that I unplugged and replugged the turn signal relay (among other things) last week as I was just trying to get acquainted and familiar with the components (its my first bike and i've never ridden before). So i thought perhaps i left something loose.

I went to the the Turn Signal Relay and noticed that it wasn't in all the way. I make sure the connectors are fully engaged, close the casing and off I go. The bike no longer loses power when switching from high beam to low beam and vise-versa.

have ya'll heard of this before?

The wiring diagram on the manual indicates that the turn signal relay has a Light Blue wire (Lb) that goes to the Turn signal light switch.

However, it also has an Orange wire (O) that goes all the way to the Ignition Switch, I also notice the diagram (O) wire has an link to the a wiring hub tha tinterfaces with the yellow wire (Y) of the Dimmer switch (among other wires).

thats the extent to which i would venture to make a guess as to any possible relationship between this. Any thoughts??

Warm regards to all.

P.S. it was the first time i got out on the road on the bike, and went 40mph! Already wishing I had a bigger bike! hahahaha

Just saw your post; welcome aboard. Nothing wrong with cutting your teeth on a 300. It will probably make you a better rider in the end. You can become supremely confident on it before moving up rather than getting something you are always timid on and afraid to make a committed maneuver (as may be required from time to time).

Not thing comes to mind about loss of power. The only thing I could image to do that electrically would be a drop in voltage to the coils. Of course there could be something else really odd, but with as simple as the electrical is I'm hard pressed to even venture a wild a$$ guess.

Clean up (acid based contact cleaner of your choice), (dielectric) grease and (tie strap) secure all of your connections.

I use tie straps going end to end around the square connectors so they cant back out. Don't use super glue .

After that do some basic checks in the Stator pages and make sure you have good voltage to the coils.
    Last edited by posplayr; 08-31-2010, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. valibal,

Sorry I missed you earlier. Let's get started with your "mega-welcome".

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
      X