kill switch issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kill switch issues

I have an 81gs1000g and the kill switch doesnt work. The bike starts and runs fine but i can only turn the bike off and on with the key.Anyone got a wiring diagram for this bike,

Cheers,
    taylo

Welcome to the site. Have you already cleaned all the contacts and checked the wiring? Basscliff will be along later to give you the official welcome but in the meantime, visit his site here to get some good information:

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

The kill switch can be disassembled and checked for corroded or worn contacts. It is pretty simple just dont let the sping or any of the little parts fly. Some people suggets putting a sock or clear baggy over when disassembling so as to not loose anything.

After cleaning check operation with an ohm meter.

This is what an ED looks like; not sure the rocker comes apart but it can be cleaned. The push button will be the simplest.

Last edited by posplayr; 08-31-2010, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. taylorgz,

You'll find lots of GS lovin' on my website. Let's get started with your "mega-welcome".

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by taylorgaz View Post
          I have an 81gs1000g and the kill switch doesnt work. The bike starts and runs fine but i can only turn the bike off and on with the key.Anyone got a wiring diagram for this bike,

Cheers,
          taylo
          Taylo,

Welcome to GSR.

I would think that if the kill switch does not kill the ignition, that someone may have bypassed it. And if you un-bypass it, you will likley find out why it was bypassed.

Follow the wires/harness from the right side controlls into the headlight bucket, that is where the connector will be. Look for the orange wire and the orange/white wire.

Maybe it is bypassed (jumpered) there at the connector, or maybe is bypassed inside the right side controlls.

Again, welcome to GSR.
          Where in general are you located?
          (maybe add that to your profile so shows up on every posting. Goto User CP, update profile)

Last edited by Redman; 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM.
          http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
          Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Thanks a million for the welcome and for all the advice on the kill switch issue.
            Thanks to POSPLAYR for the picture of the switch and just wondering is there any chance of a picture or the ignitor. My gs doesnt have one, I just have a ball of wires connected where the ignitor should be.
            Any info would be much appreciated,
            Cheers ,
            Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by taylorgaz View Post
              Thanks a million for the welcome and for all the advice on the kill switch issue.
              Thanks to POSPLAYR for the picture of the switch and just wondering is there any chance of a picture or the ignitor. My gs doesnt have one, I just have a ball of wires connected where the ignitor should be.
              Any info would be much appreciated,
              Cheers ,
              Gaz
              how are you running without an ignitor? Dyna S?
              There are pics in the micofice. Find an online parts source like partsshark.com

Comment

Working...
              X