Left blinker no work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left blinker no work

I blew a blub in my new blinkers, the left front to be exact. The auto parts store ordered two new ones for me. Replaced the burnt one and now it dosen't flash, front or rear. Right side works fine. Will a burnt out relay have problems on one side only?

Do starter relays contain oil, which can leak?

Charlie G
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

No, a flasher either works or it doesn't. It only sends the intermittant signal, the switch on the handlebar tells the current which side to light up.

Since both, the front and the rear, are not working, the only thing that is common to them is the wire from the switch to the bulbs. I am not sure exactly where it splits to both lights on your bike, but that is what I would suspect, right after verifying that the switch itself is clean.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve! I guess I'll recheck all the connections/wires on the blinker circuit. I changed out some conntectors recently and could be something amiss. I cleaned the LH switch last fall and I think I did a fair job.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g
      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Wait: it worked. A bulb blew out. You replaced it and now it only lights up (both front and rear) but will not flash? Is that right?

The flasher unit depends on the proper amount of current draw to work. Too much or too little draw and the lights don't flash. So before anything else I'd check to make sure the bulb is the correct one. There's a fair chance the guy at the auto parts store didn't get it right. If he did you have connection or wiring problems.

If you want a quick, easy test, swap the new bulb to the right side and the old right side bulb to the left and see if the problem follows the bulb.

Comment

Working...
        X