Guages and tail light went out lol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guages and tail light went out lol

Earlier today or yesterday i remember wot 4th or 5th gear towards top speed and im 100% sure its the cause (saw some flickering) of my guage lights to go out and also my constant rear brake light! (pressing the brake lights it up) i am going to take apart my beautful bike once again and get all the way into the heart of my bike again! I dont get why this would even happen its so annoying my bike its a fussy little thing when it comes to electrical! oh well any thoughts would be helpful im going to get diaelectric grease when i put stuff together this time thats for sure i dont know if it will even help
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Are all the fuses still good?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

In your fuse block, you'll find a 10 amp (red) fuse (assuming you have the blade style block, otherwise it will be a simple glass fuse) marked "SIGNAL". This feeds your tail lamp, turn signals, gauge cluster lights and in some models the brake lamp. It also shares a common ground with the horns. If anything is touching or grounding out within these circuits, it will blow the fuse. Start looking, specifically in the headlamp bucket. If there are bare connectors in there, or a bad ground somewhere or if you have horn wires touching the frame somehow, that would cause your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        In your fuse block, you'll find a 10 amp (red) fuse (assuming you have the blade style block, otherwise it will be a simple glass fuse) marked "SIGNAL". ...
        Something tells me that his '78 might have just a single fuse for the whole bike.

If the bike is still working, the fuse is good.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

yes sir i only have one 30 amp fuse that runs from my main harness power and r/r to the + this time i am going to check my sidestand light and check why that was always "on" im guessing that was a problem to begin with

Comment

Your '78 has a sidestand light?

I thought that was a feature that was introduced in '82.

Something tells me you don't have the original gauges.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Something tells me that his '78 might have just a single fuse for the whole bike.

If the bike is still working, the fuse is good.

Some of em do, some of em have a glass fuse block. I honestly didn't see the year. But I have a couple of 750 here that aren't the same even though they're both 78 models. One had single fuse, one had an oem block. Might have been a late year addition. Either way, that circuit is where he needs to be looking. It may not blow a 30amp fuse and iirc they didn't have a 30amp fuse to begin with, so he needs to be checking into that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
                yes sir i only have one 30 amp fuse that runs from my main harness power and r/r to the + this time i am going to check my sidestand light and check why that was always "on" im guessing that was a problem to begin with
                It's on be cause there is no switch to shut it off. That bike didn't have a sidestand light/switch. Sounds like you have A Lot of investigation to do...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  Your '78 has a sidestand light?

I thought that was a feature that was introduced in '82.

Something tells me you don't have the original gauges.

lol nope definitly not original gauges it was very upsetting at first but you know what are you gonna do, well im gonna try to fix this damn electrical problem and get back to movin again!

Comment

all i gotta say is that this bike is ****ing me off lol for some reason the brake light works only when pressed but it wont stay on constantly how it should so i cant ride at night now i cant see any bad connections or anything.. im just gonna have to keep searching i guess

Comment

Working...
                    X