• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

contact breaker wiring

Hi all,

Rewiring my gs1000g and need advice.

I wired the white and black wires back to the ignition coils and
    could anyone explain where the two output wires leaving the contact breaker are wired to. It looks like to ground/earth (frame) but when i done this i blew the fuse. Any help....

Cheers

You have points on a 1000G?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      You have points on a 1000G?
      I'm assuming it's a 1979. In any event, head to Mr. Basscliff's site for a wonderful wiring diagram- hopefully, he'll have that year, but in any event it will be informative. Carry on
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Should be hooked to the ignitor, but as said get a wiring diagram and follow we they led. terrylee

Comment

Its an 81 but there is no ignitor on it . It is wired the same as a 79gs1000l. Could you tell me is the earth the same as the ground?
          Is the frame the same as ground?
          From Eire and not sure about the american Electrical symbols,

Cheers

Comment

So it's an 81, but has no ignitor? When you said contact breaker, some of us thought of that as a set of points rather than what we call a signal generator. Is this what you have? Looks like a pair of opposed mini coils with a tiny rotor driven off right side of crankshaft ( sitting on bike) ?
            Yes, earth and ground are the same in this case and frame is grounded!
            Why is the ignitor missing?
            Last edited by tom203; 09-05-2010, 01:59 PM. Reason: lack of spell checker
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Yeah, i have a signal generator instead of points and im not sure why there is no ignitor, I bought the bike that way, When i connected the output wires from the signal generator to ground the fuse blew , so i tryed just putting the wires into connectors and the bike runs fine.
              Could i be doing damage to the bike running it this way?
              Should i buy an ignitor?

Comment

There are two parts to the ignition system ! The signal generator (under the right side cover IS supposed to be hooked up to the Igniter. SO connecting the signal gen direct to the coils and to ground Shorts the system.
                IF someone had put an old set of mechanical points Wiring them to the coils would be correct

Comment

It could be a dyna-s which would have black and white to the coils ,and red to ignition power. A picture would help.

Comment

Originally posted by taylorgaz View Post
                    Yeah, i have a signal generator instead of points and im not sure why there is no ignitor, I bought the bike that way, When i connected the output wires from the signal generator to ground the fuse blew , so i tryed just putting the wires into connectors and the bike runs fine.
                    Could i be doing damage to the bike running it this way?
                    Should i buy an ignitor?
                    " Bike runs fine ", so you do have an ignitor! You just haven't located it yet. Follow those wires up under seat area ( better yet go to Basscliffs site- he'll probably have 3D movie about this area!). It's either a tin box or a flat module thing if you can follow my english.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

Working...
                    X