Cooked Rectifier/Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
    I have not noticed a whole lot of difference in any of the waveforms I have seen even comparing OEM, Honda, FET and SERIES. When not regulating the outputs are pretty quite, but once the regulation starts all R/R's open from the charging system and 10-12 amps starts being fed from the battery (on a cycle by cycle basis). I think that is where most of the ripple comes from and most all do the same thing except the SERIES which doesnt short the stator.

All seem to use a voltage detector to trigger either an SCR or FET which is pretty abrupt in either case. The FET ones may be a little more intense as the voltage drops are less. I'm wondering if the SERIES have more radiated emissions but have not quantified it yet.

I have a proximity sensor on my rear wheel (on 5 ft of twisted pair) that seems to be picking up some noise. Will be investigating that.
    Let me know what you find out, I am interested in that.

Like I sayed it may have been the suzy one was close to failing, I forgot to check if it was A/C being leaked into the system. Had a Cadillac Catera in the shop once that had a BCM behaving strangely. Windows would open and shut at random same with the sunroof. Locks and seat controls would also randomly cycle. Turns out the alternator had failed and was injecting large amounts of A/C current into the system.

I like the looks of the series unit, thinking of eventually upgrading to one of those.

Comment

Also noticed that by the schematic in the "stator papers" the GS charging system is very similar to an automotive alternator of comparable year. minus the motorcycle system spins at a slower rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by raistian77 View Post
        Also noticed that by the schematic in the "stator papers" the GS charging system is very similar to an automotive alternator of comparable year. minus the motorcycle system spins at a slower rpm.
        Not really the same as an alternator had a field winding that is being regulated by output voltage to control the total output of the alternator.

The SHUNT R/R's simply short the output as there is no Field control. The SERIES is a little more like an alternator as it is able to completely Shut off the output of the stator by opening the windings but that is about as far as it goes as far as similarity.

The early GSXR's did in fact have alternators probably because without them they would burn out the stators at high RPM.

Comment

Originally posted by raistian77 View Post
          Let me know what you find out, I am interested in that.

Like I sayed it may have been the suzy one was close to failing, I forgot to check if it was A/C being leaked into the system. Had a Cadillac Catera in the shop once that had a BCM behaving strangely. Windows would open and shut at random same with the sunroof. Locks and seat controls would also randomly cycle. Turns out the alternator had failed and was injecting large amounts of A/C current into the system.

I like the looks of the series unit, thinking of eventually upgrading to one of those.
          If a diode shorted then yes there would be alot of AC being pumped into the electrical.

If you end up with a fried stator I would go for the SERIES R/R and get Electrosports stators as they seem well constructed. With the SHUNT R/R there may be slight differences in longevity due to wire size windings but with the SERIES R/R doesn't matter, you just want the stator rugged against vibration and electromotive forces..

Comment

Replaced the RR today with a new unit from RM Stator. Dyelectric grease added and it was a simple plug and play operation. Battery shows 13.86 volts at 1500 rpm idle.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-15-2010, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Glad to see it worked out, I responded to your requests but my inbox was full and it didn't go.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                Glad to see it worked out, I responded to your requests but my inbox was full and it didn't go.
                Bummer. Maybe next time then.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveM View Post
                  Replaced the RR today with a new unit from RM Stator. Dyelectric grease added and it was a simple plug and play operation. Battery shows 13.86 volts at 1500 rpm idle.
                  Don't tell me they put a bullet connector on the negative (green wire)????

Hopefully you put a ring lug on it and grounded it to the case with the other single point wires .

Comment

Don't tell me they put a bullet connector on the negative (green wire)????

Hopefully you put a ring lug on it and grounded it to the case with the other single point wires .
                    The single bullet connector was part of the OEM wiring and the replacement RR used the exact same thing. What's a ring lug?

Comment

The single bullet connector was part of the OEM wiring and the replacement RR used the exact same thing. What's a ring lug?
                      Ring Lug

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CBQQ8wIwAg#

All current going out the red wire has to come back into that green wire. So any thing that is grounded through the frame somehow has to find it's way back.

If you see my sig you will see a recommendation for improving the grounding to make it better. The main part of that is to get rid of bullet connections between the R/R-stator and battery.

I bought a new harness and still ended up hacking it to make the required changes.

Comment

All current going out the red wire has to come back into that green wire. So any thing that is grounded through the frame somehow has to find it's way back.

If you see my sig you will see a recommendation for improving the grounding to make it better. The main part of that is to get rid of bullet connections between the R/R-stator and battery.

I bought a new harness and still ended up hacking it to make the required changes.
                        So is it advised to ground that green wire directly to the frame using a ring lug?

Comment

So is it advised to ground that green wire directly to the frame using a ring lug?
                          see the link

Comment

Working...
                          X