Melted 6 pin connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melted 6 pin connector

This is a 6 pin connector in the headlight. I think the one which has melted through the connector in the wire from the R&R. The Yellow in some shrink wrap I put on the as a bandaid. Does anyone know if these connectors are available? What are your thoughts as to why this is happening. Thanks again for thoughts!

Charlie G
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

The stupid out and back stator lead wire over heated and melted the connector. Suzuki sends one leg of the stator up to the headlamp switch for markets where you can turn off the head lamp, but the wire over heats and cooks the harness due to resistance in the wiring (worse with age). For US market bikes the wire runs forward to the connector in question and then turns right around and goes back to the R/R. GS school 101 says you need to rewire your stator to feed directly into the R/R so you can avoid such melt downs. There are places around that sell the connectors but when you do the work please rewire the charging system first.
    Last edited by Nessism; 09-05-2010, 12:07 AM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What ed said there is too much current goin through the stator touse that the of cheap connector

Comment

Those GM connectors at NaPa look good as a replacement option....
        I think Eastern Beaver has this type of connectors if you want to go mail order
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I was considering replacing the 6 pin connector with individual spade connectors. What do you think? Less resistance and better conductivity, cooler?

This loop from the stator and back to the R&R makes no sense to this carpenter with a household AC mind.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

replaced most of my connections with spade type, so far works fine. Just use some small cable ties to keep wires tidy. terrylee

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
              I was considering replacing the 6 pin connector with individual spade connectors. What do you think? Less resistance and better conductivity, cooler?

This loop from the stator and back to the R&R makes no sense to this carpenter with a household AC mind.

cg
              It is a bandaid to open one of the stator legs when lidghts are Not on.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                The stupid out and back stator lead wire over heated and melted the connector. Suzuki sends one leg of the stator up to the headlamp switch for markets where you can turn off the head lamp, but the wire over heats and cooks the harness due to resistance in the wiring (worse with age). For US market bikes the wire runs forward to the connector in question and then turns right around and goes back to the R/R. GS school 101 says you need to rewire your stator to feed directly into the R/R so you can avoid such melt downs. There are places around that sell the connectors but when you do the work please rewire the charging system first.
                I think I see where I can cut into the stator/RR loop near the fuse box and splice it, to abandon this connector in the headlight. Is this ( makes sense to me) the best way? Seems like this (OEM method)was engineered (?) by a wire salesmen or janitor. Thanks guys.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  It is a bandaid to open one of the stator legs when lidghts are Not on.

My bike dosen't have a operative light switch. The wire from the stator loops into this connector and back out to the RR. Is it implied with your ( all of you) comments, that this loop would be broken by a headlight switch if the lights were on. When the lights are off, excess current is produced and sent running around this loop? If so, this is a hokay way to control excess power.

I'm not sure if I've got this now or if I ever did, but I think I'm about to re-engineer this design with side cutters, connectors and a crimping tool.

Thanks for your time.

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                    My bike dosen't have a operative light switch. The wire from the stator loops into this connector and back out to the RR. Is it implied with your ( all of you) comments, that this loop would be broken by a headlight switch if the lights were on. When the lights are off, excess current is produced and sent running around this loop? If so, this is a hokay way to control excess power.

I'm not sure if I've got this now or if I ever did, but I think I'm about to re-engineer this design with side cutters, connectors and a crimping tool.

Thanks for your time.

cg

Yea, the charging system disables one leg of the stator unless the headlamp is on...which for US bikes is all the time. Go straight from the stator to the R/R with spade terminals. Also, make an extra ground for your R/R and make sure it's solidly attached to the frame or go straight to the neg terminal on the battery. Suzuki's grounds were pretty sucky for the R/R so it's highly advised to clean that up while you got your crimpers handy.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Yea, the charging system disables one leg of the stator unless the headlamp is on...which for US bikes is all the time. Go straight from the stator to the R/R with spade terminals. Also, make an extra ground for your R/R and make sure it's solidly attached to the frame or go straight to the neg terminal on the battery. Suzuki's grounds were pretty sucky for the R/R so it's highly advised to clean that up while you got your crimpers handy.
                      Thanks Ed. I already did the grounding and direct to battery last March when I changed the RR and stator per Posplayer/Matchless threads. I'll snip and crimp and eliminate that loop and heat on the harness.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g

Comment

You should be able to simply unplug it at the RR and plug it back in directly. It's on bullets. That's what my skunk was like....
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          You should be able to simply unplug it at the RR and plug it back in directly. It's on bullets. That's what my skunk was like....

I have to add one female connector, as I changed the stator and RR last spring and reconfigured a few wires/connectors.

cg
                          sigpic
                          83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                          X