GS450 stator replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 stator replacement

I know there are lots of threads and pictures of stator jobs and the Stator Papers are a life savor but I just wanted to document my weekend repair and practice posting some pics.

I've rode and repaired snowmobiles for too many years but this is my first motorcycle (mid-life crisis in full swing...) and I am on my second year of riding.

I put a new battery in the bike this Spring because the old one was dead and wouldn't take a charge. I've put on about 1400 miles this summer so I know it had been charging okay up to now (at least good enough). The last couple short rides I went on it seemed to spin over slower than normal before it started so I checked the battery and it was at about 11-1/2 volts. I printed out the Stator Papers and read them a few times to get an idea of what I was up against and did many searches on this forum. I did all the non-running tests and the resistance test showed the failed stator right away. I also gave the battery a good charge and did the running tests and that also showed that there was no charge. I ordered a new Ricks Stator from BikeBandit along with engine gasket and oil filter since it needed a change at the same time. Here is my photo log:

First pic is my new toy

Testing battery and charging

Locate stator wires under seat

Stator wires pulled ready for engine cover removal

shift linkage and engine cover removed

Old stator ready to come out. You may notice several of the windings look dark brown/black compared to the rest

cont.

new stator ready to install

had to shave off a little of the rubber grommet so it was level with case

engine cover back on and re-route stator wires

I think this pic was to show the routing of wires???

Running test showed charging within spec now!

Ready for test ride. Notice new 'L' seat installed in an attempt to reduce sore back side on longer rides (sorry for dark picture, I'll try to add a better one later)

Went for a 70 mile test ride this afternoon and she's running great!

Comment

I'm half way through replacing the stator on my GS1100ES, and it's much the same. Waiting for the new unit to arrive, but the disassembly is almost the same for my bike too. My stator ended up being shorted to ground, so it would pop the main fuse and kill the engine as sure as throwing the kill switch.
      The stator info on this site was a great help in diagnosing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by BigUke View Post
        I'm half way through replacing the stator on my GS1100ES, and it's much the same. Waiting for the new unit to arrive, but the disassembly is almost the same for my bike too. My stator ended up being shorted to ground, so it would pop the main fuse and kill the engine as sure as throwing the kill switch.
        The stator info on this site was a great help in diagnosing the problem.
        That is a strange symtom. Can you be more specific? How did. You get it t running if it immediately popped a fuse? The stator is being constantly shorted in normal operations and very unlike to blow a fuse unless something else is wrong like the r/r. Keep in mind the charging system will have chronic problems with burning stators unless you change to a SERIES r/r like Compufire ; see GS CHARGING SYSTEM HEALTH thread in my signature
        Last edited by posplayr; 09-06-2010, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Nice work Mr. Hornswaggle.

Thanks for all the pictures and documentation. It looks like you had a fun and successful wrenching session.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X