converting fro points to stock electronic ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

converting fro points to stock electronic ignition

I need to know how to convert a 79' 750, to 80' stock electronic ignition, I know where most of the wires go, but not all, and i don't wanna make a mistake and fry it. help would be much appreciated, because the bike needs to go up for sale asap. thanx.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. parr4dcourse,

Usually a DynaS electronic ignition from Dynatek is recommended.

Actually, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

converting from points to stock electronic ignition

that's what it had on it, but for some reason stopped working after an engine swap? there's nothing wrong with the stock stuff, I've had many and never an issue with any of them. that and I happen to have an extra stock unit, and can't afford anything else, even tho Dynatek said they give me another one for $70.

Comment

Go with another Dyna, I asked the same question as I have a '79 and wanted to get rid of points and thought I could do it on the cheap with used stuff. Turns out there is a timing diffrence of some sort between the years and it makes swaping parts darn near impossible.

Comment

The 1980 and 1981 bikes used different signal generators, ignitor, and associated electrical harness than the '82 + year bikes. You should be able to use parts from any of these years although they must be kept together in a set. Also, if you go for the '82+ parts you need to change the ignition advance unit as well since the ignitor has the spark advance built in.

All this said, I'd get another Dyna S.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            The 1980 and 1981 bikes used different signal generators, ignitor, and associated electrical harness than the '82 + year bikes. You should be able to use parts from any of these years although they must be kept together in a set. Also, if you go for the '82+ parts you need to change the ignition advance unit as well since the ignitor has the spark advance built in.

All this said, I'd get another Dyna S.
            kinda true except the 82/83 1100 16v. stuff is mechanical advance also..
            as is the pre-83 750 stuff.
            i just installed 16v. stuff on an 82 1100L..
            used an advancer from a points model...had to shave down THE late model ROTOR for it to fit the points advancer properly.
            long story short.
            the dyna S is the way to go...PERIOD.

Comment

I have a related question does Dyna or someone make a ignitor box for a '81 gs850.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Curtis View Post
                I have a related question does Dyna or someone make a ignitor box for a '81 gs850.
                nope....
                but i have several tested units@50 a pop

Comment

Thanks for the response blowerbike but I have a couple myself just looking into making a upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                  X