Rewiring my 80 gs1100lt, need a high res diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewiring my 80 gs1100lt, need a high res diagram

Hello fellow GS'ers. I am about to embark on the task of rewiring my 1980 GS1100LT with a few modifications. I would like to remove the wiring for the ignitor and the auto-cancel turn signal control unit as well as hook up the stator directly to the r/r, replace the fuse box with a modern blade type fuse box and add the wiring for several of the relay modifications.

I know how to read a wiring diagram and I have one for my particular year and model but it is rather low res. I would llike to know if anyone on the forum has a high resolution diagram for my bike that I can blow up to about an 11X17 size so that I can modify it to my needs.

Oh I also have the dyna S ignition that I'm going to integrate into the new harness as well as replace all connectors with the GM weather pack ones. I am also planning to replace the gauges with something a little more simple so as to clean up the look of the bike. I'm planning to make somewhat of a bobber out of it although I will not be hardtailing it. Another modification I want to integrate is the RFID ingition that Katman has developed for the GS, so if you can chime in and give me some tips on your system, I would greatly appreciate it Katman.

So if anyone can help me out with this, that would be awesome. Also if anyone knows where I can source some wiring for this project with the original colours, please let me know. I have found a low cost source for wiring at http://www.jmproducts.com but they only have solid colors and I would like to find somewhere that has striped wiring at a comparable price.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for any help and insight any of you may be able to provide.

-Rudy
    Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2010, 02:57 PM.

Anyone? Tips, suggestions, comments, anything?

Comment

Hi,

I would suggest one modification at a time when dealing with your wiring harness. If you change a bunch of things at once and it goes "KERFLUUEY!", it makes troubleshooting more difficult.

The DynaS mod should replace the igniter. No problem there.
      Hooking stator directly to the r/r? That's a straight-ahead procedure, no problem there. For example:

Replacing the glass tube fuse box with a blade type? Same as above, shouldn't be a big deal as it's also a popular mod. You might want to start with http://www.easternbeaver.com for parts.

Below is information found on my little website...

Mr. Matchless has a few articles regarding the use of relays on our bikes (along with many other helpful guides): http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=3...17b31bfbde8fc1

Here's a site that should have a GS1100 wiring diagram for you: http://www.motoinfo.yoyo.pl/

For electrical connectors, etc:
      A source for "vintage" electrical connector parts: http://www.vintageconnections.com/
      http://www.fuzeblocks.com/ - power all kinds of motorcycle accessories.
      http://electricalconnection.com/powe...ion/pplate.htm - allows simple and easy installation of electrical components.

For a one stop connection there is an eBay outfit that will sell a connector kit with all you need for one bike: Ebay Store: HiPo-Parts-Garage_Weatherpack-Electrical-Parts

And the crimp tool: Ebay Store: HiPo-Parts-Garage/Weather-Pack-Economy-Crimping-Tool-20-14ga

I know this is pretty general information. You'll have to proceed carefully and methodically asking more specific questions along the way. Then perhaps you'll get more detailed responses. Please take pictures and keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thank you Basscliff. I may have not been very clear in my initial post. What I am actually doing is making a new harness for my bike. I would be mapping out all of the "improvements" on paper and then building it from that schematic. Thank you for the links, they were quite helpful as well. Though I have yet to find awiring diagram that is clear. I had the site that you suggested and also have the manual from your site with the diagram as well. Both are a little hard to clearly read the wire colors and the electric components on so I'm still looking for a higher resolution schematic.

One question I do have before ordering wiring though... If I am not mistaken, most of the wiring on these GS's are 18 Ga, correct? Would it be a smart idea to increase the size to 16 Ga wire in order to "beef up" the harness?

Comment

Hi,

Electrically it makes sense to use the bigger gauge wire. But you would then have to worry about making it fit in all the tight spots. If you are getting rid of a bunch of circuits then that may not be an issue.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

i ran into the same problem w/ my 1980 gs1100L. so i went out and bought the clymer for it. after reading it over for a bit made sense why the first time i redid my harness didn't work lol.

Comment

This might help if you are planning to redesign the harness.

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Thank you Posplayr. I had seen that thread and saved it so that I can use it as a base for my new harness. I still need to ask katman about his keyless system and see how I can integrate it into the harness. I have just been looking for a clear diagram so that I can accurately integrate the turn signals and lights as well.

Smokienutz, I don't suppose that manual you have has the diagram on it? Would you be able to scan the diagram in a high resolution setting and e-mail that to me? If it's not too much trouble, of course (and you have a scanner).

Thank you all for the insight, it is very much appreciated.

-Rudy

Comment

EFI connection is a great source for wire..

They sell TXL Wire in a variety of colors with and without tracer lines..
                  TXL is the stuff the manufactures are using in new cars.. thin but tough polyethylene insulation.. good to 280°f so it won't melt if you have to solder something like the PVC auto store primary wire junk does..

prices are .25 to .35 cents a foot.. 5 foot min pr color.

I've made several orders from them.. always fast service..

Like Cliff said Eastern Beaver has a great selection of metripack connectors

Vintage connections has the deal on a ratcheting crimp tool

look on the price list near the bottom.. section 10 RTL Crimper $35..
                  It works awesome..

Nice crimp!
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-23-2010, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X