Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing questions? -clyinder firing

Hi,
    I'm rebuilding my 1979 550 above the crankcase.
    Just to help me understand, When re-installing the pistons, cams etc.
    I have read how to put the engine at TDC, and then how to line up the cams and cam chain.
    When putting it back together, if I put #1 cyl. on my 550 at TDC can I be sure #1 will fire and not #4?
    #1 and #4 pistons are both at the top of their stroke at the same time.
    While #1 is firing at the top of its compression stroke, is #4 at the top of its exhaust stroke?
    With cars I know that the distributer can be 180 degrees out even though the engine is at TDC. and the crankshaft turns twice for every 1 camshaft revolution. Does the crank turn twice for every camshaft rev. in the 550 engine?
    Sorry-I don't know how clear or muddy I am on this question.
    Bill

Both cylinders for each coils fire together - thus #1 and #4 both spark at the same time, on is on compression and the other on exhaust

So, you can't be "out"

Just follow the cam timing procedure and it should fire right up
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

What BIGT said +1. It is the camshafts that open and close the valves, so until the cams are in place you cannot have the pistons on compression or exhaust stroke. When the cams go on the motor and are timed correctly then you have #1 piston on compression stroke because both valves are closed in that position and #4 is on exhaust stroke because the lobe on the exhaust cam has opened the exhaust valve as you tightened the camshaft caps down to specified torque.

is that as clear as MUD.

Comment

Thanks guys

So, #1 and #4 will fire at the same time, then 180 degrees later #2 and #3 will fire, and 180 degrees after that, #1 and #4 will fire again etc.
        So the firing order would be 1, 2, 4, 3.

So I guess we have a "wasted spark". There are 2 coils and they each spark 2 cylinders every 360 degrees. A cylinder will spark once to ignite the air/fuel mixture, and also 360 degrees later when the exhaust gases are being pumped from the cylinder. The second spark does nothing good, and nothing bad. It just makes things simpler because there are less coil-packs. right?

makes sense now-different altogether than my Mopars from 30yrs ago.
        Bill

Comment

That's it exactly. It's a wasted spark system.

The main benefit is that it's simpler and saves the space that would be needed for two more coils.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
          X