Dyna S testing for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S testing for Dummies

I am no good at electronics. I have had a electrical issue that I can't figure out. At the track, I have one good run and then lose 1 cylinder. Changed spark plug wires. Cleaned coil connections.
    The question is, has anyone had their system tested by Dyna? Will they do this so I can isolate the problem? I don't want to replace the pickups if that isn't the problem. Thanks in advance for your thoughts...
    Curt
    sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

if you just lose 1 cylinder its unlikely to be the ignition or the coils. probably a spark plug or, at worst a mechanical problem with that cylinder, or maybe a blocked jet in the carb
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Dyna most definitely will test your system, but it's pretty easy to test things yourself. It's on their website how to test the pickups. I test mine and found a pickup to be bad. Called them, I shipped it out they confirmed it was bad and gave me a whole new system for half the price even though it was 5 yrs old but they said they like to have good service and were more than happy to do it. Great company.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Agemax: I thought it might be carbs, but it comes on so quickly, like a light switch.. I will pull the carbs this fall also...

And thanks for the info on self testing... I am just going to get in touch with them and let them do it. I don't have the testing equipment at my disposal... I will get on their site to read over the testimg procedure..

Comment

If you lose only one cylinder and you're sure it's electrical then it has to be the coil. With a twin lead coil the spark path is coil - ground on one plug then ground - coil on the other. One cannot spark without the other either sparking or the current going to ground somewhere else.
          You've changed leads so my guess is the internal insulation in that coil is breaking down.
          Are you using Dyna coils or OE Suzuki ? I've started using Bosch 2.8 ohm coils on a dyna with great results after OE coils started breaking down.
          My field is roadracing and with longer run times than dragging coil breakdown with heat shows up more frequently.

Comment

Greg... I have the green coils but they are old... I am going to check if there is a spot on the frame that might be grounding. If I don't see anything obvious, I will turn off the lights and watch for fireworks with the bike running... Thanks for the idea...
            Curt

Comment

This is an update on the Dyna S and Coils... I sent the pickups and coils to Dyna... They tested the 27 YEAR old parts and determined that the coils were bad. THe price for new ones was $149.00. They WARRANTIED one coil so I only paid $70.00. All is back together and working well. Great company...
              Curt

Comment

Did you deal with Raymond?
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yep... Great guy

Comment

Coils

I've been using the ACCEL coils on my GS750ET pretty since I've had it and that's been 30 years now, they have never missed a beat and seemed to be as strong now as they were new. More then I can say about the stock crap that was on it.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                      I've been using the ACCEL coils on my GS750ET pretty since I've had it and that's been 30 years now, they have never missed a beat and seemed to be as strong now as they were new. More then I can say about the stock crap that was on it.
                      I especially like the pretty racing yellow as opposed the green Dyana coils

Comment

Working...
                      X