Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

both coils are dead?! and which dyna coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

both coils are dead?! and which dyna coils?

i'm gettin my first gs.. and first motorcycle ever for that matter an 83 gs1100ez ready to roll. i'm gettin no spark, on any cylinder, at all and getting a 0.0 ohm reading on both coils (on the ht side). the plug wires look really bad so i figure thats the problem.. however before i get a few hundred bucks into it i figure id ask the gs guru's what they thought. i'm gonna get the dyna coils and wires but am not sure which setup is right for me. its going to b ridden alot, i'll probably keep the stock stator and ignitor for now.. if theyre still good.. thnx

You need the green 3 ohm coils. You might consider the New smaller dyna coils also if space is a problem. Or a set from a late model bandit or similar model
    Last edited by Guest; 09-24-2010, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. jhicok,

Feel free to visit the Electrical Odds and Ends section of my little website for more troubleshooting tips. For now I'm just going to share the love.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by jhicok View Post
        i'm gettin my first gs.. and first motorcycle ever for that matter an 83 gs1100ez ready to roll.
        I bet this problem is a message from your guardian angel- first bike!!! I hope you've spent many hours on a nice 250! Anyways, head to Basscliff's and read up on ignition faults and how to check them.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom has a point... Have you ridden other bilkes or are you starting on an 1100? Do yourself a favor and take a safety class first.. or go buy a cheap dirt bike and learn on that... I rode dirt for 5 years and still wrapped my first KZ650 around a tree.
          Curt
          sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

thanks for the advice on the coils.. and i've ridden dirt bikes and four wheelers since i was young... thanks for your concern.. i'm definetley gonna take it easy and have respect for this machine

Comment

Originally posted by bellucci View Post
              Tom has a point... Have you ridden other bilkes or are you starting on an 1100? Do yourself a favor and take a safety class first.. or go buy a cheap dirt bike and learn on that... I rode dirt for 5 years and still wrapped my first KZ650 around a tree.
              Curt
              have to admit my 850 was my first bike. Did not have any problems with it not event the top heavyness of it. The bike is very forgiving for being so big.

Comment

Originally posted by jhicok View Post
                thanks for the advice on the coils.. and i've ridden dirt bikes and four wheelers since i was young... thanks for your concern.. i'm definetley gonna take it easy and have respect for this machine
                I'm not so much concerned with the power, cuz that should scare you real early on, but more with stopping! Many new street riders fail to work on their braking, especially the front brake which is going to do 80% of the job in a panic situation. You have to force yourself to get familiar with hard use of front brake, until it becomes automatic.
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X