cdi unit/ overchargeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cdi unit/ overchargeing

Does anybody make an aftermarket cdi unit . I have a 1982 GS300 with eletrical problems. Bike starts fine then drops the left cylinder, after a few minutes spark comes back and bike runs good until you stop and cool done, now its losing spark while rideing. Bike also seems to be overcharging wires are hot, I have changed r/r any help here to would be great. I have gone thru the stator pages everything seems ok. I have a different harness and r/r comeing this week. Thanks Jim

Number one, you don't have a CDI unit, they were mostly used on old two-strokes. You have an igniter. You may actually have a coil going south.

Comment

Hi Chasse, Welcome to the forum!, my name is johnny I've had my GS1000 for 13 years and in that time I've come across both of your problems-Suzuki made great engines but were lacking a lot in the electrical department.Your problem with the left cylinder sounds very much like me to be failing ignition coils(had it happen to me twice) it gives the same symptoms as you describetry swapping the coils over and if the same thing happens on the right cylinder you will know that the coil is going -buy 2 new coils as the other one won't be far behind!.As for the over charging when you put a voltmeter across the battery terminals and gently rev the bike does the voltage rise above 14.5 and continue? if so the alternator and/or as you have said the reg/rectifier is scrap as well, the alternator on these bikes are very sensitive to oil changes, neglect them and don't run withthe headlight on you burn out a phase and the next thing you know the battery goes flat or the light dims until it discharges the battery because the alternator can't cope with the load of three phases on only two. The only other thing I will say is when you get the new reg/rec take the earth(black/white wire),cut wire with the loop that is used to earth it to the frame behind the reg/rec unit in half,SOLDER not crimp on a new length that will allow the loop to go straight to the negative of the battery, this will give much better earthing than the frame as designed by Suzuki, it's also less likley to be affected by corrosion(this trick was passed on to me by someone who has been fixing wiring problems in japenese bikes for nearly 30 years- if he tells you to do it listen was what I was told)
      Hope that this helps Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by Chasse View Post
        Does anybody make an aftermarket cdi unit . I have a 1982 GS300 with eletrical problems. Bike starts fine then drops the left cylinder, after a few minutes spark comes back and bike runs good until you stop and cool done, now its losing spark while rideing. Bike also seems to be overcharging wires are hot, I have changed r/r any help here to would be great. I have gone thru the stator pages everything seems ok. I have a different harness and r/r comeing this week. Thanks Jim
        Yes,as other poster said, bad coil seems more likely. Switch coils around and see if now the right cylinder drops out -easy test. Then you can review ignition testing over at Basscliff's site which you must have stumbled across by now.
        As for r/r, I'm sure you've read up on the importance of clean connections- if you done the stator papers and determined that you are actually overcharging (say 16 volts ), then a new r/r is probably the answer. What brand/type did you order?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X