i only got fire on two of my 4 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i only got fire on two of my 4 cylinders

hello i have an 81gs650gl i paid $100 for it. it was a mess. i got it runnin but its only runnin on two cyl. 2and3 are firen 1and4 are not. the coil is good i checked it . there is the orangeand white wire that comes from the kill switch i have power there. then on coil 2-3 i have a black wire the black wire dose not have power till it hooked to the coil the it gets power from the orange wire throw the coil... as where when u put a 12volt light tester on it the white wire (witch goes to coil 1-4) and turn the key it flashes.... i dont know much about this. or what it means i hope someone understands. i have resurched this and some one told me to chech my grounds and i replaced all them and it still does it... i have power goin to the ingitor and its grounded good... i dont know if this means much to any one but might help ... when i got the bike it stock rectifer was replaced i know that because they striped the screws tryin to get the old one off and just put the new one off to the side .... since i did get the old one off and put it where it belongs... i hope some one can help me ... thank you for your time eddie_ney3@hotmail.com

I would try looking at your ignition pickups. 1 and 4 are on the same pickup. I'm not sure if an 81 is points or electronic, if its points, you may need to clean the contacts and do a general tuneup, been there, done that. electrical gremlins arent fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
      I would try looking at your ignition pickups. 1 and 4 are on the same pickup. I'm not sure if an 81 is points or electronic, if its points, you may need to clean the contacts and do a general tuneup, been there, done that. electrical gremlins arent fun.
      im not sure my self when i took the side cover off everything was clean ... like i said when hooked to a 12volt light tester it will flash... on and off as it goes around??? i dont know as where the other one dose not till hooked to the coil.

Comment

just curious, but are you using old plugs or fresh new ones? I've seen old plugs that are fouled simply wont fire anymore, creating this kind of issue. mind you this was in an RD350, but the idea is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by eddie1984 View Post
          hello i have an 81gs650gl i paid $100 for it. it was a mess. i got it runnin but its only runnin on two cyl. 2and3 are firen 1and4 are not. the coil is good i checked it . there is the orangeand white wire that comes from the kill switch i have power there. then on coil 2-3 i have a black wire the black wire dose not have power till it hooked to the coil the it gets power from the orange wire throw the coil...
          Of course it was a mess, why do you think you only paid $100 for it! Anyways, it sorta runs and that's a plus. The orange/white goes to both coils and supplies 12 v positive. Also,one coil gets a yellow/black wire, the other coil gets a black/white wire- these wires come from your ignitor box mounted in same area as your regulator box. The ignitor grounds out these wires at proper time to make spark. Try switching coil positions to see if problem moves to 2 and 3. Check all connections from signal generator pickups to ignitor, and to coils. Wiring on these bikes is always suspect.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

My mistake!!! Wires from ignitor to coils- one should be yellow/black,other is white (not black/white).
            While I'm being humbled; take some pics and give us some history- mileage, last registered, etc. Another guy on here (mopbucket) also just scooped a 82 gs650l- visit his posts to trade info!
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
              My mistake!!! Wires from ignitor to coils- one should be yellow/black,other is white (not black/white).
              While I'm being humbled; take some pics and give us some history- mileage, last registered, etc. Another guy on here (mopbucket) also just scooped a 82 gs650l- visit his posts to trade info!
              hey tom thanks for the reply... well im almost done it... i dont really get it i got good power i tested it ... even at 6000 rpms it good all works well but my question turn now to someone else was sayin something about vac.to tank..... and oil level. well that was goin to be my question tonight... on the bottom of my motor i have my drain plug well there is also a hole there and oil keeps comin out of that hole.... and the 2nd fuel hose (between1-2) what is that for primen when the chock is on???? and do i need it???? i changed out the tank and in thinkin now how to do that part... well ill ttyl and ty for all the great info.. check out my profile now . pics to come...

Comment

hey tom thanks for the reply... well im almost done it... i dont really get it i got good power i tested it ... even at 6000 rpms it good all works well but my question turn now to someone else was sayin something about vac.to tank..... and oil level. well that was goin to be my question tonight... on the bottom of my motor i have my drain plug well there is also a hole there and oil keeps comin out of that hole.... and the 2nd fuel hose (between1-2) what is that for primen when the chock is on???? and do i need it???? i changed out the tank and in thinkin now how to do that part... well ill ttyl and ty for all the great info.. check out my profile now . pics to come...
                Ok, so it's now running on all four? lucky you! Yes, now's a good time to explore tank/ petcock issues. What does inside of tank look like- clean , a little rusted, or a horror show? The petcock has 3 positions- Prime. On , and Res. In pri, fuel will flow from tank to carbs at all times; in On or Res, fuel is supposed to only flow when engine is running. That 2nd hose off petcock is a vacuum line which connects to carb #2 ( on engine side). When engine runs,vacuum is applied to petcock valve which lets fuel flow-IF it's working right; search these forums and you'll see this is a common problem area.
                Where is this hole that oil is coming out of? near drain plug?
                1981 gs650L

Comment

That is the so called mystery hole!

Do a search for it or look here:

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                    That is the so called mystery hole!

Do a search for it or look here:
                    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...t=mystery+hole
                    Wow, now I can throw away my rusted starter motor cover and let the rain drain down and out!
                    Somehow I think eddie is watching another hole ! could be the drain hole for the secondary drive cavity which on this model shares engine oil.
                    1981 gs650L

Comment

hey tom my take was **** so i changed it later to find out about the vacume line. the hole... yea its right next to the dain plug... it pumps it out when ever i start the bike.... this sucker is a chalange... my next one is a 1100 goldwing i think.. i also have 750 and a 650 honda all in early 80s lot of projects

Comment

hey tom my take was **** so i changed it later to find out about the vacume line. the hole... yea its right next to the dain plug... it pumps it out when ever i start the bike.... this sucker is a chalange... my next one is a 1100 goldwing i think.. i also have 750 and a 650 honda all in early 80s lot of projects
                        Are you starting a collection of 80's bikes???So you replaced gas tank and figured out vacuum hose.
                        I just looked at my bike and I don't see any holes or bolt heads near oil drain plug. If it doesn't gush out till you start bike, it means it's seeing oil pump pressure. This is a 50 psi system, not 10 psi like alot of suzukis. Maybe someone else knows where the oil relief valve lurks on this model, but oil gushing out makes no sense to me. Clean area- do you see any cracks?
                        1981 gs650L

Comment

no no cracks just a hole the size of a nickle.... lol idont know hope to ride tonight...

Comment

got to love the 80s bikes they r so fun to do ill try to get pic up on here tonight of my bike... its lookin good i made it a drop seat...

Comment

i have a 2005 ironhorse for when i want to take off it has a 113. it called the black widow and for good reason...

Comment

Working...
                              X