GSX1100G alternator ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSX1100G alternator ?

Ok, in a previous post I asked for opinions on the 1991-93 gsx1100g. Things to look out for etc. Anyway the fellow called back and accepted my offer so I am supposed to go pick it up Friday night and I am wanting to do a check of the battery/charging system before I ride it home( I know should have done this on the previous visit ).

So is the procedure for a bike with an alternator the same as for bikes with a stator? Thanks for the help folks.

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
    Ok, in a previous post I asked for opinions on the 1991-93 gsx1100g. Things to look out for etc. Anyway the fellow called back and accepted my offer so I am supposed to go pick it up Friday night and I am wanting to do a check of the battery/charging system before I ride it home( I know should have done this on the previous visit ).

So is the procedure for a bike with an alternator the same as for bikes with a stator? Thanks for the help folks.
    These have an alternator like a car. revolving field controlled by regulator to boost output at low speeds but limit output at high speeds. A simple test would be to hook up voltmeter to battery before starting -voltage should be 12.5 v. Start it up and voltage should climb quickly to 14 + , proving that the alternator system is producing current- how much? who knows.
    Is this a key test for you to buy a bike?
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ok, thanks. That was what I was looking for. So the alternator should be making full charging voltage even at idle?

Comment

Originally posted by dr_fosg8 View Post
        Ok, thanks. That was what I was looking for. So the alternator should be making full charging voltage even at idle?
        Certainly above 1500 rpm, you will probably see 14 volts, but you're asking alot at idle. This alternator seems to be driven directly off crankshaft ( I've never seen this model); in a car ,a pulley gears up alternator speed maybe two times, so a car alternator can really put out juice at idle. If you blip throttle up to 2000 rpm's, you should see a spike in voltage almost immediately.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
        X