Need quick help with finding a code for the key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need quick help with finding a code for the key

I lost my only key to my 1979 GS550L. I called the local Suzuki dealer, and they said that they could cut a new key for my bike if I brought him the number off the bottom of the ignition switch. I found a six digit number on the bottom of the ignition switch, and when I told it to him, he said that it was wrong. He said it is usually a 5 digit number, starting with a letter. So I pulled the entire ignition switch out. There are no other numbers on it. I'm not sure if it can be opened or not. It looks like there might be 2 very small flathead screws that will open it, but I am not sure.

Can anyone tell me if there is another place to look for the key numbers? This is my only form of transportation, so I need a key quickly.

Check the seat compartment lock; that's where I found mine.

Comment

Check your gas cap, your helmet lock.

Comment

Gas cap is locked to the gas tank. The seat and helmet lock only has a 3 digit number on it.

Comment

Yeah, the 3 digit number is what worked for me. I went to my Suzuki dealer and they referred me to a local locksmith who made my key based on that three digit number.

Comment

As a side note, the locksmith's key blanks worked fine on my seat lock, but not on my ignition. I realized later that the ignition key is longer than the key blank, thus the key blank wasn't going deep enough into the ignition. I filed the head down and made it work, but will eventually buy a stock Suzuki ignition key blank and have it cut to fit.

Comment

I've always used the 3 digit number from inside the gas cap.

Which means it'd be a good idea if you have a working key to write that three digit number down before you lack a key
              "I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51693054986_036c0d6951_m.jpg https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51693282393_74ae51fbf9_m.jpg https://flic.kr/p/2mKXzTx]

Comment

Thanks guys. That three digit number was the right one, the Suzuki dealer guy just didnt know what he was doing. I took the ignition and the seat lock to a locksmith, and he was able to make a key in a minute. It cost me a bit more, but at least I have a key now.

Comment

Why couldn't you just order a new ignition?

They cost like $18,lol.

Or just hotwire it,lol.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                    Why couldn't you just order a new ignition?

They cost like $18,lol.

Or just hotwire it,lol.
                    New ignition=new key that only fits the ignition, not the seat, helmet or gas cap lock. That works well if you never have to put gas in or open up the seat.

Comment

Working...
                    X