Dyna 2000 in a GS1150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna 2000 in a GS1150

My igniter is no longer working, so I've been contemplating an upgrade as opposed to buying another igniter (new ones are way expensive, used may not work or last long). I have both the Dyna S and a complete Dyna 2000 sitting on the shelf. I wanted to use the Dyna S for my 1150 and keep the 2000 for my hot rod 8V 1000 motor, but the Dyna S will not fit with the stock 1150 ignition cover. I would have to drill a hole in the stock cover to make it fit. We all know that ain't gonna happen. So I've been studying up on my Dyna 2000....and nice part... Electronic advance (no mechanical advance needed), fits nicely under the stock cover, easy to wire and set up, built-in timing light, rev limiter, digital tach output, 5 different advance curves, etc. NICE! So let's put it in. Well, here's my problem. The 5 pre-set advance curves don't match the stock advance curve on my 1150. The 1150 is 10 deg. BTDC under 1500 rpm, and fully advances to 32 deg. BTDC after 3500 rpm, which is 22 degrees advance.

The Dyna 2000 offers the following in their instructions:

Curve..Span .... Full timing at ..... Application

#1 .. 20 deg ... 2,500 rpm .........4 valve stock
    #2 .. 20 deg ... 4,500 rpm ....... 4 valve increased compression
    #3 .. 20 deg ... 6,500 rpm ....... 4 valve high compression
    #4 .. 25 deg ... 3,500 rpm ....... 2 valve stock
    #5 .. 25 deg ... 5,500 rpm ....... 2 valve high compression

So I wasn't sure where the setting should go. I contacted Dynatek and this was the dialog:

Hello, I have a stock 1985 Suzuki GS1150 and I am installing
    a dyna 2000 to replace the fried igniter. The manual shows stock timing
    is 10 deg. BTDC below 1500 rpm, and 32 deg. BTDC above 3500 rpm (22
    degrees advance). None of the advance modes on the Dyna 2000 match
    this timing curve. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Hello Bruce.
    All timing calculation with the Dyna 2000 are based upon the full timing.
    Your motor should be set to a total timing of 34 degrees. Use timing curve #1. We have used this combination for many, many years with great success.
    Thank you,
    Larry Nelson
    Technical Support
    Dynatek
    1-800-928-DYNA (3962)

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the response. If I use curve #1 then I will be 2 degrees more
    advanced than what is shown in the manual, and also my initial timing below 1500 rpm will be at 14 degrees, not 10. Curve #1 also shows full advance at 2500 rpm, but the manual shows full advance at 3500 rpm. Are you sure that is the curve I need to use? Will those differences hurt or help performance?

Thanks for your help,

Bruce

Hello Bruce.
    We have used this system on the Suzuki GS line for decades with great success.
    On a stock motor, the added advance will improve performance. However, if you
    feel more comfortable, you can slow the timing down a touch by either using
    timing curve 2, or, just retarding the plate slightly.
    Being the Dyna 2000 is a microprocessor based unit, the timing control is very
    exact and will work well on your motor, as based on our installation and
    set-up instructions.
    Give it a try. I think you will be impressed!.
    Thank you,
    Larry Nelson
    Technical Support
    Dynatek
    1-800-928-DYNA (3962)

So being the logical person that I am, if curve #1 is better than what came stock, why didn't Suzuki set the stock ignitor up that way?

I also have another option in that I can buy a cable and some software from Dynatek and hook the Dyna 2000 module to my computer and program a custom curve for my bike. I didn't want to have to do that unless I really needed to.

Comments? Does anyone have a Dyna 2000 on their 1150? Am I just being too anal about the settings?

Last edited by renobruce; 09-30-2010, 02:10 AM.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Adding a few deg initial timing to get 32 total would be fine Just set the initial timing at 12 deg. Normally running over 2500 so your at max advance all the time anyway.

Comment

And YES, you are being too anal! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
        And YES, you are being too anal! Ray.
        Ok, so you are saying Suzuki had it wrong, or that exact timing isn't important?
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
          Ok, so you are saying Suzuki had it wrong, or that exact timing isn't important?
          There were many compromises between ultimate performance and emissions.

This could easily have been (another) one of them.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I am not the fabricator like some of our brethern. But what about a spacer ring like they do for a lock up clutch. I was reading on Dynatek's site that its only a 1/4" difference in height. Or would the spacer not look good on your bike? Maybe get a dented up extra cover and cut it lengthwise? Just a thought... I have an 'S' on my bike and it is at Dynatek being tested as we speak.. Moral of the thought is to use the S...
            Curt
            sigpic'85 GS1150 1428 14-1 200+hp Hang On

Comment

Ok here it is....I have a stock 1150 with a 5in slick and a dyna 2000,I tried setting number 2 Vs setting number 1 and the bike runs much better on Number 1,the number 2 seems not to rev as high...number 1 on both my 1150 based street bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by gs1150streetracer View Post
                Ok here it is....I have a stock 1150 with a 5in slick and a dyna 2000,I tried setting number 2 Vs setting number 1 and the bike runs much better on Number 1,the number 2 seems not to rev as high...number 1 on both my 1150 based street bikes.
                Thanks for the input. What is your timing set at?
                85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Hyperpak

When my igniter started to go south a few years ago, a company called Hyperpak was listing on Ebay igniters for older series of bikes. I ordered one, and after a few weeks it arrived. Most likely the long shipping time was due to it coming from New Zealang. I can't say enough good things about that unit. While I haven't been putting the miles on the GS1150E like I used to, it still works after installing it over 7 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                  X