1100 big crank rotor or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1100 big crank rotor or not?

I just picked up two old suzuki's. I'm a honda guy really, but am diving into these projects!!

First one is a 1982 GS1100E that was apart but complete until I pulled the stator cover off.

The rotor, or flywheel, starter clutch, and the gear that goes between the starter and clutch is gone...

From what I read the E has the big crank, but I would like to know how to know for sure.

Is the 55mm removal tool for the big crank verses the 50mm? I'd like to know before I post on the wanted section...

thanks!!

I'm having some confusion also in identifying my model. The papers say 82 but it looks like an 81 model with the integrated square headlight etc.

Is there a place to check frame and engine numbers?

I've got a line on 81 parts but dont want to pull the trigger yet...

Comment

Big end is 83 1100E and above with a very few 82 1100E's much more the exception than the rule. Big end refers to the taper on the crank. The pullers are different as well. I know I have posted sources for different pullers if you do a search under my name.

83 1100E 16V Black motor big end welder crank.

80-82 1100E 16V Silver motor small end non welded crank

rare exception silver 82 with big end welded crank

you can search for differences.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

Do you know if the dealer would be able to run the engine #'s to tell the difference?

I've done alot of searching on here, but not having the parts I need I dont really know what to look for...

I guess if the crank threads are 55mm I have a big crank, if they are 50mm they are the small crank?

Comment

Big end is 83 1100E and above with a very few 82 1100E's much more the exception than the rule. Big end refers to the taper on the crank. The pullers are different as well. I know I have posted sources for different pullers if you do a search under my name.

83 1100E 16V Black motor big end welder crank.

80-82 1100E 16V Silver motor small end non welded crank

So, are you saying that if the '82 crank is welded then it has a big end?
          What do you measure to find out if it is a big end? Nut size or thread size?

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
            What do you measure to find out if it is a big end? Nut size or thread size?
            I'm pretty sure

Big end refers to the taper on the crank.

Comment

large rotor threads=small taper crankshaft.
              small rotor threads= big taper crankshaft.
              write it down ladies.

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                write it down ladies.
                but is

big end= big taper?

Comment

Originally posted by gearhead13 View Post
                  NOT neccessarily true! I just took apart an 82 motor that I know for a FACT, had NEVER been apart & it had a FACTORY welded SMALL end crank! It is for sale by the way & less than 5000 miles on it. Ray.

Comment

but is

big end= big taper?
                    Yes, that is correct. Do I owe you any money? Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                      Yes, that is correct. Do I owe you any money? Ray.
                      Yea remember I loaned you $1 million at lunch the other day . I'll take it is small bills

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
                        write it down ladies.

Etched in my brain

Thanks so much!

Now I suppose that the big end crank also has a specific starter clutch as well?

Comment

Man this is so cornfusing
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just got confirmation from a great guy named Terry over the phone that the flat area after the taper that the needle bearings from the starter clutch ride on are

Small crank: 25mm
                            Big crank : 29mm

I'm really impressed that I was able to call someone in another country, and he would take his time to pull out tools and measure things for me just for information!

Thanks so much Terry! This is a great introduction into the Suzuki community!
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-01-2010, 05:15 PM. Reason: Rant and rave about a possible member

Comment

Originally posted by still_bluenoser View Post
                              Just got confirmation from a great guy named Terry over the phone that the flat area after the taper that the needle bearings from the starter clutch ride on are

Small crank: 25mm
                              Big crank : 29mm

I'm really impressed that I was able to call someone in another country, and he would take his time to pull out tools and measure things for me just for information!

Thanks so much Terry! This is a great introduction into the Suzuki community!
                              sooner or later you will need this link.

Pic is of the Big End crank (small thread) puller.

Comment

Working...
                              X