I'm a dufuss!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a dufuss!

I had mentioned in another thread about my Boss car stereo I mounted on the bike not working when the bike wasn't running, and cutting off when I turned the signals on. So, I called Boss technical support and he gave me some tips on what to check. So, I got the multimeter out and checked the voltage at the source where I was plugging in the red power lead from the radio. With the bike off, it was about 8.5 volts! I was pulling that power from the orange wire coming off the back side of the plug leading up to the ignition switch, feeding through the Vetter harness, through the plugin and inside the fairing. When the bike is running, that lead reads about 10.5 volts! Why is it so dang low? Can somebody tell me I can draw that power from that will give me 12 volts when the bike isn't running, but the key is on? I realize the tail lights and front running lights, as well as the dash lights are stealing some voltage with the key on, but should it be stealing that much? The white power wire that goes to the stereo, that you have to plug into a constant 12V source to keep the clock and presets going reads about 12.2 volts with the key off. I'm drawing that power from the red wire that goes into the plug leading up to the ignition. So, between that red wire going into the plug leading up to the ignition switch, and the orange wire coming back from the ignition switch, I'm losing a bunch of voltage when the key is on.

So, I guess that stereo is ok. I asked him why it requires 13.8 volts to operate and he said that is what is required for it to obtain the full 80 watts per channel, but it should turn on with a 12 volt source.

So, anybody have any advice for me of where to draw at least 12 volts from when the ignition is on? Thanks for any help!
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
    I had mentioned in another thread about my Boss car stereo I mounted on the bike not working when the bike wasn't running, and cutting off when I turned the signals on. So, I called Boss technical support and he gave me some tips on what to check. So, I got the multimeter out and checked the voltage at the source where I was plugging in the red power lead from the radio. With the bike off, it was about 8.5 volts! I was pulling that power from the orange wire coming off the back side of the plug leading up to the ignition switch, feeding through the Vetter harness, through the plugin and inside the fairing. When the bike is running, that lead reads about 10.5 volts! Why is it so dang low? Can somebody tell me I can draw that power from that will give me 12 volts when the bike isn't running, but the key is on? I realize the tail lights and front running lights, as well as the dash lights are stealing some voltage with the key on, but should it be stealing that much? The white power wire that goes to the stereo, that you have to plug into a constant 12V source to keep the clock and presets going reads about 12.2 volts with the key off. I'm drawing that power from the red wire that goes into the plug leading up to the ignition. So, between that red wire going into the plug leading up to the ignition switch, and the orange wire coming back from the ignition switch, I'm losing a bunch of voltage when the key is on.

So, I guess that stereo is ok. I asked him why it requires 13.8 volts to operate and he said that is what is required for it to obtain the full 80 watts per channel, but it should turn on with a 12 volt source.

So, anybody have any advice for me of where to draw at least 12 volts from when the ignition is on? Thanks for any help!
    Straight from the battery

Anything on these bikes that side of the ignition or fuse block is going to see some voltage loss. Much less provided you've cleaned and doctored all of your connections, but still...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
      Straight from the battery

Anything on these bikes that side of the ignition or fuse block is going to see some voltage loss. Much less provided you've cleaned and doctored all of your connections, but still...
      I was thinking of doing that, but I really wanted the radio to turn off with th key.
      Current Bikes:

Comment

could a capacitor in line help? I suppose it would still bleed off with no charging going on.

Im sure some of the leet tunah car stereo sites deal with this type of problem maybe hit them up for their solution.

Though I fear its a second bank on the alternator and another large battery.

Comment

I was thinking of doing that, but I really wanted the radio to turn off with th key.
          Then you probably want to tap into switched power closest to the source.. Maybe the coils.. but that would draw from the coils... Maybe at the fuse block... Maybe the tail lamp right there at the battery... Lots of options, but what it comes down to more than anything is that all of your connections are clean. Radio or not, if they arent, you may be only getting what you're seeing ANYWHERE on the bike... and thats not good..

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Then you probably want to tap into switched power closest to the source.. Maybe the coils.. but that would draw from the coils... Maybe at the fuse block... Maybe the tail lamp right there at the battery... Lots of options, but what it comes down to more than anything is that all of your connections are clean. Radio or not, if they arent, you may be only getting what you're seeing ANYWHERE on the bike... and thats not good..
            Noted. Thanks. I'll do a run through the connections again.
            Current Bikes:

Comment

Can you say "Radio Relay Mod"?

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Ha ! I was thinking the same thing. Anyone got a 6 pole relay for all my relay mods ....
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I'm afraid that's a bit above my head Steve. Are you in town?
                  Current Bikes:

Comment

isnt ther an auxillary power point with a positive and negative on the fuse block? MOST older suzuki's I've seen have this wonderful feature, which is close to the battery, and I'd imagne switched power.

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
                      isnt ther an auxillary power point with a positive and negative on the fuse block? MOST older suzuki's I've seen have this wonderful feature, which is close to the battery, and I'd imagne switched power.
                      NOT switched...but yes... If you're putting a low draw item on it, like a port to plug in a cig lighter charger for your phone or something...its great.. But for a radio..I dunno what kind of voltage its pulling to maintain the memory..Id imagine not much..but its not switched.. on all the time..

Comment

The wire coming out of the radio that is for keeping the memory has to be connected to a constant 12 volts, not switched. It's the other red wire that powers the radio up that I wanted to have switched.
                        Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by bobthebiker88 View Post
                          aux on my ED is not switched.

Comment

I wasnt 100% sure on this, since its been awhile and the last bike I dealt with that HAD it, was a 93 katana 600 pile of CRAP. god how I hate those bikes.

Comment

I'm afraid that's a bit above my head Steve. Are you in town?
                              It's not all that hard, and no, I'm not in town. Won't be back until mid-November.

Also want to remind you that with the radio memory wire connected, there is a little bit of draw all the time. If you ride every day or two, it won't be a problem, but I have a feeling that in about a week, it will draw the battery down enough to cause problems. Do you have a Battery Tender connection on the bike? That's not too hard, either.

Call me if you want to discuss it before you tackle it.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X