Mystery wire on 80 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mystery wire on 80 850G

I had to replace the plug for the right handlebar switch because the plug on the wiring harness was smashed. Only three of the wires were still physically attached to the plug and 5 wires with the blades were dangling to the side. After scouring the wiring diagram I found it must be the right hand switch plug. The only problem is the plug from the switch only has 7 wires on it. There is a white wire on the harness side that doesn't match the wiring diagram or the plug from the switch.

Does anyone know what this wire is for? Or if someone has an 80 850 with the tank off and could take a look at this plug and tell me if the white wire is there and if it goes to anything, I am wondering if it is an extra wire that is just there for some unknown reason.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-02-2010, 01:51 PM. Reason: fixed typo

There is a White and a Orange wire to the front brake light switch.

Comment

The brake light switch isn't part of the plug, they are two individual wires that connect in the headlight bucket.

Comment

Should be a wiring diagram or manual on Basscliffs' site which should tell you were that goes, sorry I'm not at home or I'd check my 850 for you. terrylee

Comment

If you have 7 wires at the R/H connector then you should also have a lights on/off switch.
          The colours on the connector are: Orange, Orange/White, Yellow/Green, Orange/Red, Gray, White/Red and White/Green.

There are no other White wires to the right handlebar except the stoplight switch. If so, someone may have replaced a wire with a white bit and you will need a wiring diagram for a non USA 1980 GS850 with a headlight switch.

I did find that the GS450L shows a white wire from the headlamp bulb going nowhere, maybe this helps a bit:
          Last edited by Guest; 10-02-2010, 05:26 PM. Reason: Added diagram

Comment

Working...
          X